Chapter 37 - "Mummy!?"

April 19, 2013

I was now on a break from college between semesters. We started the break on the seventeenth, and I go back May first.

The pictures had died down within a week of it happening. I don't think Ashton even saw that they got out. I have not said a word to him since. He knows I'm mad at him, but he 'doesn't know why'.

I was getting ready to take Kaely to school. We still call Ashton every morning, but I decline when he asks Kaely if I want to talk. I can still hear his voice when she calls him, since it's on speaker. I love that. I would be crushed if I couldn't hear his voice for two whole months. But that's what I'm doing to him, just because he deserves it.

When Kaely and I arrived at the school, we called Ashton, the normal routine. She talked to him for about five minutes.

"Kaely, could I talk to mummy?" He asked when almost finished talking to her. I shook my head no.

"No," she told him, as usual.

"Why not? You say no every day. I haven't talked to her for months."

"She shakes her head no."

"Why does she do that?"

"I don't know."

"Could you ask her?"

She looked up at me. She was waiting for me to answer. I covered the speaker so Ashton wouldn't hear the answer, "Kaely, mummy doesn't want to talk to daddy. She's mad at him."

She talked to him again. "Mummy's mad at-" she began to repeat. I covered her mouth.

"Mummy's mad at who? Is mummy mad at me?"

"Yeah," she told him. Oh my god.

"Why is mummy mad at me?" He seemed confused.

I just shook my head no again. She replied, "I don't know."

"Well, baby, I'll be home in a few days. Hopefully I'll be able to find out why mummy is mad at me then.."

"Okay."

"So, princess, I'll see you in two days."

"Okay. I love you!" She exclaimed.

"I love you too, baby. I love you, Chloe.." His voice sounded sad when he said he loved me. I hung up quickly. I felt so bad, but he knew what he was doing. He didn't want to admit it.

I took my phone back from Kaely before kissing her and sending her off to school. I got back into the car to drive home. Who knew a normally-five-minute drive could feel like three hours?

------

Kaely got off of the bus at the house around three thirty that afternoon. She ran to me and gave me a big hug.

"What did you do today?" I asked her.

"We learned about the letter L," she told me.

"Really? What are some words that start with L?"

"Leopard, Learn, and Love," she told me the words they had learned.

"Know any other words?"

"No, but Mrs Patterson told us that love is only a word until somebody gives it a meaning," she repeated her teachers words. I really thought about that. I think thought about it too much. Who knew that I would be preached to by my own four-year-old?

"That's actually really good, Kaely."

"Thank you," she trotted into the house with me behind her.

We walked inside, and she played with Dax. They were running around the house, and soon, I heard the doorbell ring.

"That could be daddy!" She exclaimed.

"No! Kaely-"

Before I could get out there, Kaely had opened the door. It was Trenton. He forcefully pushed past her and ran after me. I ran from him, but didn't go very far. He grabbed my arm and squeezed it. He was leaving marks on my arm, for sure.

"Kaely!!" I screamed, "go to your room, quickly!"

"I don't want her," he whispered harshly in my ear.

He pulled me towards the door. Dax barked at him, and tried to bite him. Trenton kicked up him away. He put his hand over my mouth as he took me outside and quickly put me in the back of his car. He blindfolded me as well. I couldn't see anything. Memories of when Jacob did this came into my mind.

*Kaely's POV*

I ran down from my room minutes later, yelling, "mummy!! Mummy, where are you!?" Dax was barking like crazy. He had something in his mouth. It was a piece off of someone's pants, but not my mum's pants.

I did what mummy told me to do in a situation like this. I called 000, and I told them what was going on.