Chapter 18 - Fourth Birthday Party

October 20, 2012

Two days ago was Kaely's fourth birthday! She's been in head-start for the whole school year now, and she's made a lot of friends. All of her friends were over at our house for her party. She had about fifteen people over, six of them being boys and nine of them being girls. When their parents dropped them off, they thought it was sort of weird that I was eighteen and I had a daughter turning four. All of them were in their late twenties or early thirties. I wasn't even out of high school yet. I had another month to go!

With sixteen kids running around, I made my way into the kitchen and cut the cake. I put sixteen slices on sixteen plates for the kids. It would be easier to do it now than to do it when they're begging me for it.

Kaely ran up to me quickly and asked, "mummy, where's daddy?"

"Uh, he's coming later, sweetie," I told her, then she nodded and ran away with her friends.

I got the ice cream out too and put some vanilla in bowls and chocolate in others. The kids ran into and out of the kitchen quickly, but there's always one that stops and yells, "CAKE AND ICE CREAM!!"

There was one of those kids at the party. He got the other kids excited, and they were piling into the kitchen. They kept trying to grab at the cake.

"Stop!!" I told them, but they kept grabbing at it.

I needed someone here to help me. Mrs. Smith is out of town this weekend, visiting her son, and I had the house to myself, but I had sixteen kids here.

I dialed Ashton's number and called him. I needed his help so much right now. Every ring was like years because I was pressed against the counter by sixteen four-year-olds that were screaming for what was behind me. Finally, he picked up after the third ring.

"What's up, Chloe?" He asked.

"Uh, I have sixteen screaming kids here at my house that are pushing me against the counter to get at the ice cream and cake behind me. They're screaming too, and it's hurting my ears. They're running around making so many messes too.. What about you?"

"Well, I'm coming to help you.. You need it, babe," he sounded worried about me.

"Thanks, Ash," I said then screamed, "OW! DONT DO THAT!" because they pushed me against the corner of the counter, the sharp end.

"Hurry.." I told Ashton.

"I'll be there in a minute or two," he informed me.

"Okay," was the last thing I said into the phone before hanging up.

"Guys, stop rushing for it, and you'll get it sooner!" I tried to yell at them, but nobody seemed to do anything.

A minute or so later, I heard the front door slam. Ashton ran into the kitchen and yelled, "EVERYBODY STEP BACK!!" Surprisingly, all of the kids did. One by one, I handed them their cake and their choice of ice cream. Once I was finished, I made my way over to Ashton who had just talked to Kaely who got cake and ice cream first.

"Hey Ash.. Thank you so much. Now they'll be content for a while."

"You're welcome, babe," he smiled.

"I missed you," I whispered and pecked his lips.

"You just saw me yesterday.."

"I know," I said quietly as kids rushed through the kitchen.

"Miss Walters, where's the restroom?" A young boy asked. He was so pleasant and polite. I pointed towards the bathroom which was down the hall and to the right, past the stairs. I asked him who he was too.

"Thank you. And I'm Noah Parker," he smiled, and then ran off. He was a very cute little boy.

Ashton and I were now alone in the kitchen. The kids were all outside in the backyard except for Noah who was in the bathroom. I looked at Ashton and said, "I can't believe it's been two years since Jacob came here and tried to kill me.." I shook at the memory. It was terrible.

"Babe, don't think about that. Think about happy things, like.. Now Kaely is four!!"

"That's not happy either.. She's growing up so fast. I miss having her as a little baby. She's growing more independent as she gets older too. She is trying to do a lot of things herself now.." I was sad. My baby was now four.

"Well, maybe it won't be but another few years until there is another baby around..." Ashton said, and I turned around to face him.

"Did you just say what I think you said?" I smiled at him. Noah came through the kitchen and gave me a smile, then went out the back door.

"Yeah, why not? I mean, we've never talked about our future together," he smiled back at me. I liked talking like this.

"I guess we haven't.. Well, I mean, what do you think?"

"I'm really not sure.. How about we talk about this later, after all of the kids leave and Kaely goes to your parents?"

"Okay," I agreed, not knowing why. Nobody was around, and nobody would care. But I went along with it, and we walked out into the backyard.

"Hey mummy! Hi daddy!" Kaely waved as she passed us while playing tag. I remember when I was little that I would play tag all of the time. That is, until my parents started drugs, and I was sad most of the time.

I walked over to one of the lawn chairs underneath the trees. I sat down, and Ashton did the same. We watched all of the kids running around. Ashton once got up and played tag with them. He is great with kids. That's one thing I love about him out of many others.