Chapter 40 - Calls

"Hello?" I answered.

"Ashton Irwin, correct?"

"Correct," I told them.

"We have the results of the DNA testing. I am glad to inform you that it is not Chloe," the words coming from his mouth were like heaven to me.

"Oh my god, thank you so much," I was literally crying tears of joy. I hung up and put the phone back. I was ecstatic.

"Is something wrong, daddy?" Kaely looked up at me.

"No, baby, daddy's happy."

"That's good. What make you happy?"

"The person on the phone told daddy something really good. That's why daddy is happy."

"Daddy's happy, I'm happy," she smiled.

"That's good you're happy," I crouched down to her level. Dax used that opportunity to run over to me and jump onto me.

"Dax!" I exclaimed. He was tackling me. Kaely laughed.

"Kaely, help me!" I yelled.

"It's funny," she giggled.

"Kaely!" I begged. She ran over to Dax and pushed him off of me. She chased him around the house. They were a perfect match. Neither of them ever seemed to get tired.

I began thinking. I was thinking about Chloe. She was still out there, somewhere. I might be able to hear her voice again. It's been a week since she's been gone. I haven't heard her voice in nine weeks and one day. I've been counting. I really miss her voice. I just need to see her again.

------

The next day, I took Dax for a walk along with Kaely. We talked to Chloe's parent's house, which was only a few blocks down.

I talked to them about the news I got yesterday. They got a call too. They were relieved. So was I. I was ecstatic. My other half was out there, and she was most likely okay. That's one other bad thing that didn't happen to her, and I was glad.

"Daddy, why haven't I seen mummy in a while?" Kaely looked up at me.

"Baby, not the best question right now," I told her.

"Why not? I miss mummy," she teared up.

"I do too, Kaely.." I looked down at her, "you seem to ask about mummy a lot. Are you worried?"

"She left with that man. I didn't like it. He was hurting her," she told me. That was new information. I didn't know he was hurting her right in front of Kaely.

"Baby, don't think about that. We'll see mummy soon, and she'll be fine."

"Do you promise?"

"Not right now, baby."

"I love you daddy," she wrapped her arms part of the way around my waist.

"I love you too, Kaely.." I hugged her back

------

After we got home that day, I saw that Chloe's phone was buzzing a lot. Texts, calls, FaceTimes. Every other minute, it will buzz again with a missed call.

I looked to see who it was. It was a girl named Kristen. I didn't know Kristen. Maybe she was a friend from college? Maybe Chloe didn't even know her..

I answered one of the calls to see what she wanted so bad. I answered, but I didn't say anything. I wanted her to answer first.

"Hello? Chloe?" She asked.

"Hello," I answered.

"A-Ashton?" She stuttered.

"Yeah. And you're Kristen?"

"I am. I'm Chloe's friend, from college. We have a lot of courses together."

"Oh. Well, what were you calling about?"

"Chloe told me that I could come meet you and the rest of the band on my birthday, which is tomorrow. I'm a fan of the band," she told me. I smiled.

"Thank you," I loved talking to fans. It was weird when I was talking to them over Chloe's phone.

"I have tickets to see you preform with One Direction in October. Melbourne."

"Oh, a Melbourne girl," I laughed, "well I'd be glad to meet you tomorrow."

"I'll see you tomorrow, then," she paused, "could I talk to Chloe for a minute?" She didn't know.

"She's not here at the moment," I told her, trying not to cry.

"Okay. I'll just talk to her tomorrow. Bye," she waited until I said goodbye, then hung up.