Chapter 27 - Definition of Perfect

When Terri got up to the stage, she took the microphone before they could put her crown on her. She announced into the microphone, "A lot of you might know, I've always wanted to be prom queen. There's one problem though. The prom king is one of my new best friend's boyfriend. I can't do that to her, so I'm giving my crown up to Chloe Walters."

I smiled at her gesture. She looked back at me and smiled too. I began to walk up onto the stage while she walked off. I hugged her when we met between the two places.

"Thanks Terri," I told her.

"Anytime. I couldn't do that to you," she assured me.

I continued walking up to the stage, and I accepted my crown. Ashton grabbed my hand as we walked down the side of the stage using the stairs. Everyone else created a space for us, and they watched the prom king and queen dance. They played a slow song for us to dance to, which was perfect.

Other couples danced too, but the people that weren't dancing watched us. I thought about how perfect tonight was.

"How could tonight be any more perfect?" I asked Ashton.

"I have no idea... It's already so amazing."

"Yeah," I agreed.

When the song ended, everyone stopped dancing, and some people clapped for the prom king and queen. Next, they played a fast song that got everyone dancing.

------

It was almost midnight, and prom was coming to a close. The last song was a slower song that all of the couples in our class danced to. The song was "Marry Me" by Jason Derulo. I really liked the song.

As the song ended, the prom committee thanked everyone for coming. Ashton and I were then escorted home by our limo driver in our limo. We didn't bother getting Kaely because she was staying the night at my parents' house.

At home while sitting on the couch, Ashton looked at me and smirked before saying, "babe.." and kissing down my neck.

"No," I declined him.

"but babe why not?"

"Ash, I'm on my period, no," I told him, and he just replied with an "oh."

He then got up and walked into the kitchen. He came back with some dark chocolate and some ice cream with a spoon. He had my hot water bottle in his hand also. He knew exactly what I did every time.

"Here babe," he smiled. He was so sweet.

I smiled at him and thanked him before taking the things from him. I ate the dark chocolate that was supposed to help with cramps, then drank some of the water and put it on the side table. I ate so ice cream and held it in my right hand.

Ashton grabbed ahold of my free hand and smiled at me, beaming, with his dimples obviously showing.

"Tonight is perfect," he whispered.

"It was," I told him.

"No, it still is perfect."

"Yeah," I agreed, smiling back at him.

"I love you, Chloe Elizabeth Walters," he told me.

"I love you too, Ashton Fletcher Irwin," I repeated.

"Isn't that your last name?" He asked.

"What?"

"Irwin. Isn't that your last name?"

"Ashton.."

"Hm? Oh god, Chloe, where do I even start? I'm so thankful for the three years we've had, over that, actually. You've been the light of my world for the past three years, plus some. Kaely seems like she's my daughter. I know she'd love it if mummy and daddy got married. I've already asked her if she'd like it, and she said yes. And Irwin will be your last name, hopefully, if this goes okay.. So, Chloe Elizabeth Walters, will you marry me?" He got down on one knee after pulling out a velvet box. He opened the box after asking me the question, and I didn't even pay attention to the ring until after I answered him.

"Oh god, yes, Ashton.." I was crying, nodding my head. He began crying too. He wiped a tear to take the ring out of the box and place it on my finger. I admired it until he grabbed my chin, pulling my face towards his.

"I love you," he whispered onto my lips before kissing me. This was the real definition of perfect.