Trials and Union

As the two approached the stone flat, a booming voice came from a distance. "Do not enter unless you are willing to face the trial of wits and strength." Certainly Eros and Xerxes were shaken up by this, considering there was no source to the sound. Both identified the language to be English, should that have been in question.

"Eros, I think we should still go on."

"Was that ever in question?"

The two proceeded across the stone base without event, making it to the base of the massive flight of stairs. As they walked and escalated, the view from the mountain served to please them both. The grand hill was not the same as any other; It seemed to tower much higher than any other mountain in sight, the peak clear of snow. They traveled for quite a distance, making it to the other side of the mountain and halfway up when another stone flat interrupted the path. This time, the area was about the shape of half a football field. In the center of this was a stone in the ground, glowing a faint blue color. Around this were many intricate circles filled with heliographs that looked more like art than writing.

As the two walked across this area (about ten feet in), a soft blue phantom appeared over the stone, causing the pair to stop in their tracks. The phantom was poorly defined at first, appearing as a blob; But as it got closer to the two, it clearly took the form of a Suicune, with the body and size of the real one; however, the phantom was translucent and completely blue, as was its incorporeal nature. The creature spoke in a booming voice, "You will not pass. Those dark of heart cannot become powerful in the way of the light." The image seemed to be talking about Xerxes.

Xerxes spoke, "But I'm not evil!" , trying to counter the negative statement she received. The Suicune ignored this and spoke to Eros.

"A human may not desecrate this temple. Both of you shall return to whence you came and never return."

Xerxes and Eros were distraught at this, which may have led to the part where Xerxes started to run at the phantom and use pursuit on it, her claws glowing with anger and might.

The phantom had only to wait until Xerxes was in front of it; As she swung, the creature hopped back and countered, slamming into Xerxes' fragile body, knocking her over in one hit. She lied on the ground, stunned from this blow. The phantom now stared at Eros, waiting for him to make his move. However, Eros knew that alone, the fight was completely one-sided, making him useless no matter what he would do. The phantom did not attack Eros in turn of his inaction, only seeming to act on provocation.

Wait, does this only act on provocation? Eros tried to walk forwards but found the incorporeal being stood in his way. As he touched it, shivers went up and down his back, making him retreat. Note to self: Cannot walk through phantoms.

What was this undefeatable force? No phantom could possibly hold the strength that is present in the real legendary being. Even so, was the fraction of the power of Suicune great enough to defeat Xerxes in a single blow? How could anyone imagine getting to the top of the mountain? All was hopeless in continuing up this mountain, should this be the case...

Eros picked up the prone Xerxes and started to carry her back down the mountain. She seemed frozen in place from the ghost, but he felt no sign that she was paralyzed in any way; Hence, she must've kept still on her own choosing.

Xerxes moaned in Eros' arms, "Eros, I want to go back home."

"Don't worry, we'll be down the mountain soon enough."

Eros proceeded down the mountain until he saw a small group of people- humans, for sure- making their way up the mountain. "Who could this be?" Eros said to himself. There was no place to hide, should the need be, so he proceeded as normal, pleading to the gods that no one was coming to hunt him for whatever reason they may.