The Marquis

---
*Gasp* It's the 50th chapter! Guess what that means!
---

Where was he...? Eros looked around. On all sides, including up and down, he was surrounded by continual walls of smoothened stone that appeared as concrete, although a bit too smooth to be so. The room was massive, spanning at least a hundred feet in every direction, forming a very uncomfortable hemisphere that could make even the most insensitive of people claustrophobic, an illusion Eros couldn't quite seem to explain. The room was lit by two torches at one of the points around the room, marking either side of the passageway out. Bound around his wrists were iron shackles staked into the ground, giving him but a few feet of movement in any direction. He sat alone, attempting to recollect just how he got here.

All he remembered of the day before was Cerci attempting to teach him a trick or two involving his growth spell to make it more versatile. As they were preparing objects, like rocks, to practice on, Eros felt some kind of magical disturbance behind him unlike anything he'd felt before. A moment later, arms cloaked with a dark fabric wrapped around his front and he felt the same mystical disturbance once more, one that made his stomach churn and forced him prone on the ground. He was teleported into his current cell from his guess, something he could have never prepared for.

He looked around. The entire structure of whatever he was contained in hummed of magic, one somewhat like the type of enchantment Cerci used. He certainly felt that whoever imprisoned him had far underestimated his ability to use magic, as he could simply slip out of the shackles by enlarging them and walking out the door, which was ludicrously simple; However, there was a growing concern for the odd disturbance Eros felt inside of himself, one that took the form of a very peculiar enchantment, inscrutable to the relatively infinitesimal practice of Eros...

A figure started walking from the door and into the room, taking the form of none other than the Marquis de Magus himself. His mask concealed his expression, sharing none but the face of a furious devil of sorts. This mask was certainly different than the one he wore before, the one in Utopia. He concluded that the old mask simply was no more. The Marquis spoke, "Hello."

Eros switched to a bratty, sarcastic attitude. "You wouldn't mind loosening these, would you?"

The Marquis sighed. "You really are a jackass..."

"So now what? Gunna kill me?"

"It seems like it." That wasn't the answer Eros was expecting. "I was considering using you to bargain, but I decided that Cerci and the rest would already know-"

"That you'd just kill me?"

"Exactly. And, eh, unless I hear something soon..."

"You're going to kill me?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Let me guess, you're going to kill me in front of my friends so that they-"

"No, no. I'm not evil. You don't really understand me, do you?" Eros shook his head. "I expected as much. You are no more than a terrorist, are you? Pillaging magical items in the name of good? Why would you even do that?"

"Because it will help reach world peace-"

"You don't get it, do you?" The Marquis mumbled to himself before continuing. "I'm not going to lie, I use some similar means to achieve my goals, but you're going about it the wrong way. What could you possibly hope for?"

Eros reluctantly replied, "I'm just hoping the world can coexist and all. The world can do just fine with a little help. It's not like you're doing anything good."

The Marquis sighed once more. "The Equilibrium makes things more even, right? But when two sides are opposing each other infinitely-"

"I know that they eventually die out. I get that. But the world doesn't have to fight."