Return to the Turnabout, Part 4 (Ashi)

WITNESS TESTIMONY: BAL GAM- THE SHOOTING

-I was in the gym on the ground level when I heard it!

-BANG!

-A gunshot!

-I looked up to see Aria, who was in the booth across from where Gyn's body was. 

-When she saw me, she fired one more bullet, as if threatening me.

"That is all," Coach Gam finished.

The judge nodded. "Thank you, witness. Mr. Red? Your cross-examination?"

Mr. Red nodded. "Yes, Your Honor."

CROSS-EXAMINATION: BAL GAM- THE SHOOTING

-I was in the gym on the ground level when I heard it!

-BANG!

-A gunshot!

-I looked up to see Aria, who was in the booth across from where Gyn's body was.

"OBJECTION!"

Mr. Red smirked. "Mr. Gam. I'm sure that you know of the fact that no students are allowed in the tech booths. Only you and Ms. Teach were allowed inside."

"Well, yeah. There's a fingerprint recognition system on the door to stop people from sneaking out," Coach Gam answered.

"In that case, how did the defendant get up there!?" Mr. Red exclaimed.

Coach Gam began sweating. "You...!"

"OBJECTION!"

Prosecutor Bullgard slammed her hands on the prosecutor's bench. "The victim could have opened up the door for her!"

"OBJECTION!"

Mr. Red continued to smirk. "I received the record of the finger print sensor from a certain student-" -he glanced at me here- "-and it only shows the victim using her finger on the booth her body was in shortly before the murder! And the witness used the other booth shortly after!"

Coach Gam was sweating madly now. I gasped as the realization struck: Coach Gam was the real killer. I looked at Aria, who nodded. She had come to the same conclusion. I gulped. Who could a girl trust anymore?

"Th-that's not any proof that I killed Gyn!" Coach Gam shouted.

"Actually, both bullets that were in the booth with the victim came from the other booth, which you were in!" Mr. Red shouted.

Coach Gam was sweating madly now. "I-I didn't kill Gyn! You don't have any proof that I killed her!"

"What kind of motive would the witness have to kill the victim?" Prosecutor Bullgard asked. "They worked with one another and were teaching partners."

Mr. Red turned to Averl and Aria. "How do we turn this around in our favor?"

Aria mouthed something at Mr. Red. I couldn't tell what. He nodded and whispered something at Averl, which she nodded to. Averl and Mr. Red traded spots. Aria and Mr. Red began violently whispering. I could hear it, but just barely.

"Gyn helped me out with my big project. If Bal was secretly part of that group, wouldn't that be a motive to kill? And to frame me for it?" Aria whispered.

"It would be. But are you willing to reveal that in court in front of all these people?" Mr. Red asked.

Aria looked down. "Just censor it. That's what my friends and I always do. The censorships is what we call them." Mr. Red nodded.

He turned back to the trial. "I believe that I have found a motive for murder that would apply to the witness," Mr. Red announced.

"W-what?!" Prosecutor Bullgard stammered. She squeezed her fabric in her fingers. "What is this motive?!"

"You said that the defendant had a secret that she couldn't have getting out," Mr. Red said. "And that this could have been a motive for murder. But what if it wasn't the victim that found out, but rather the witness?"

"A s-secret?! I don't know anything about a secret involving Gyn!" Coach Gam exclaimed.

"What kind of secret would the victim be hiding?!" the judge asked.

"Have you heard of the buzz of legal spies buzzing around the world of law as of late?" Mr. Red questioned.

"But of course. It's a rather popular topic among us judges," the judge answered. Wow. I didn't take him to be a gossiper. 

"You know?!" Prosecutor Bullgard shouted. She looked ready to rip her fabric piece in two and then proceed to shred it further. 

Mr. Red nodded. "Ms. Claris informed me of the exact same secret that you stumbled across. The fact that she and the victim were accomplices working on a project where a good friend of theirs was a legal spy."

The people in the court around me began to buzz. But I had much more important things to do than listen to some mindless gossip. I had to try and communicate with my best friend. Aria nodded my direction. Mr. Red knew as far as her gesturing could tell me. And Aria sure must trust him a lot to tell him this kind of thing. In that case, I know I can trust him just as deeply. 

The judge slammed his gavel down on his desk, which snapped me back into reality. "Order in the court!" he exclaimed. "Mr. Red! You mean to say that the defendant and the victim worked with each other on a project about a legal spy!?"

Mr. Red nodded. "Yes. And let us just say that another person was looking for information for their own group, which was strongly against the group the victim and the defendant were part of. How would this person react? Blackmail, clearly. Or maybe even murder...."

"You mean to say that I killed Gyn just because she was part of a group gathering information on the legal world?!" Coach Gam roared. "I had no clue that she was working alongside anybody, much less the defendant! And what kind of legal spy crud has anything to do with me and my school!?"

"If one of your own students was a legal spy," Mr. Red began. Aria elbowed him in the arm. Mr. Red yelped slightly. Close call. "Or closely related to a legal spy, then your school would have everything to do with the 'legal spy crud!'"

Coach Gam pulled out a small deflated basketball from his right pocket. I saw a flash of black metal when he did. I gasped as the coach began blowing up the basketball.

That metal...what if it was the murder weapon!?

-------------------------------

Yay. 

Quadruple updates.

And I swear I came up with the best plot twist for this story ever and it will literally break you all.

I'm not telling anybody.

It's more fun that way.

Teeheehee~

-Digital