Turnabout Betrayal, Part 8 (Lily)

"C-Chrysalis?!" I whispered, looking down at the defense bench. "So that's why...."

"She wasn't in the defendant lobby. And why she bolted when you mentioned witnesses yesterday," Jay replied. 

I nodded. "So this is what betrayal feels like." I shook my head slowly, unwilling to believe the hard as stone truth laid out before me. 

"That's what I was afraid of."

I looked up to the witness stand to see Chrysalis standing there. She looked down, avoiding the expecting eyes of everybody in the courtroom. Every gaze demanded something: testimony, answers, the truth. I sighed and said what was necessary to move the trial along. "Witness. Please state your name and occupation for the court." Just calling somebody so close to me 'witness' hurt a lot, believe it or not. 

Chrysalis nodded. "Chrysalis Starr, high school student studying to become a lawyer." She gripped her left wrist tightly. I gulped as I touched my Magatama. Five Psyche-Locks. I frowned, worry pulsing through me. What if my suspicions from before were correct?!

Focus, Lily! Now isn't the time! You can figure out these things later!

"Witness," Prosecutor Moody started. "Please testify about what you saw the night of the crime."

Chrysalis nodded. "Certainly, Prosecutor Moody."

WITNESS TESTIMONY: CHRYSALIS STARR- NIGHT OF THE CRIME

-I was at the apartment I share with my brother and sister when I got a phone call. 

-It was from Anton. He said that he was waiting for me at the local prison. 

-He said something about a note sending him there from me, though I sent him no note. 

-The line went dead, and I panicked. I ran to the local prison, only to find....

-I saw the defendant being carted off, Anton unconscious on the ground, and there were two corpses nearby.

"That's all. That's all I saw that night," Chrysalis finished. 

"I never thought that firm reasoning could be used against us in this way," I sighed. 

"Good luck with her. That's all I can really say," Jay said, shaking his head. "I didn't see any contradictions."

"Perfect," I muttered sarcastically. "Absolutely perfect."

CROSS-EXAMINATION: CHRYSALIS STARR- NIGHT OF THE CRIME

-I was at the apartment I share with my brother and sister when I got a phone call.

-It was from Anton. He said that he was waiting for me at the local prison.

-He said something about a note sending him there from me, though I sent him no note.

-The line went dead, and I panicked. I ran to the local prison, only to find....

-I saw the defendant being carted off, Anton unconscious on the ground, and there were two corpses nearby.

"HOLD IT!" 

"How was the defendant's hair styled when you saw her?" I asked. If this didn't work, I didn't know what I was supposed to do. 

"Well...it was all down. Odd, isn't it?" Chrysalis questioned. 

"Please add that to your testimony," I told her.

Chrysalis nodded. "Not sure what good it'll do, but okay."

-When I saw the defendant, her hair was down.

"OBJECTION!"

"There wasn't a contradiction there, Lily," Jay whispered in my direction. He shot me an 'are you kidding me' glance. 

I shook my head. "Maybe there wasn't a contradiction, but there was evidence there of my earlier claim that Tora Yin was channeled by the defendant the night of the crime."

"Huh?" Chrysalis gasped, covering her mouth with one hand. 

"If the defendant channeled the deceased Tora Yin, then her hair would be styled to that of Tora's at the time of her death. When the spirit left her body, Ms. Taikan's hair would return to normal. When she woke up, the police were most likely there to arrest her. Is this or is this not proof that Tora Yin was channeled the night of the crime?!" I exclaimed. 

"Even if that's true," Prosecutor Moody started. "There is one remaining matter."

"What matter would that be?" the judge asked. 

"The witness mentioned a letter being sent to Anton Burke. We found a letter to the defendant on her person when she was arrested. If we assume that both the defendant and the assault victim were sent to the prison by the same person, who sent them there?" Prosecutor Moody finished. 

I gasped. "The mastermind...." I whispered. "But this person who sent the defendant to the crime scene must have had a reason! They could be the real killer and the mastermind behind this crime!"

Chrysalis began gripping the witness stand tightly with both hands. She leaned forward onto her hands. Chrysalis squealed slightly and leaned back, rubbing her left wrist. "A-are you accusing me of being the criminal?!"

"Of course not!" I exclaimed. "I'm just saying that the person who sent the letters must be the killer. I said nothing about you being the mastermind."

"Good," Chrysalis said, still rubbing her hand. "Because I can tell you now that I'm entirely innocent of this crime."

I held my hand to my chest. My fingers threatened to brush over my Magatama, reveal the truth. If she had Psyche-Locks...then....

I gulped, knowing I had to solve this crime one way or another. I rubbed my Magatama, not sure I was ready for what was coming. 

Five. 

Five red Psyche-Locks, black duplicates underneath. 

Jay rubbed Sora's Magatama. He turned to face me. "Judging by how pale you are, I assume you saw them as well."

I nodded slowly. "Yeah...."

"The prosecution wishes for more investigation time!" Prosecutor Moody suddenly shouted. 

I looked up in confusion. "Huh?"

"The prosecution wants to find out who sent those letters. Will you permit this, Your Honor?" Prosecutor Moody elaborated. 

The judge nodded. "I suppose that would be okay. Are there any objections from the defense?"

I shook my head. "N-no, My Lord." I wasn't entirely sure if I was ready to find out who this mastermind is. But I had to face reality. I won't get anywhere in life if I don't just face the music and put up with it like anybody else.

The judge nodded again. "Very well. In that case, court is adjourned!"

With that said, he slammed the gavel down. I gulped, afraid of what the next few hours may comprise of.

---------------------------------------

Reason for this trial section being so short: day two of the investigation resolves legitimately everything. The killer, the mastermind, even the victims. 

So yea I had to make this part short so that this turnabout can fit in the 20 chapter limit I have for it. 

Here's hoping I can fit it all in the next twelve chapters. 

It's just that big.

-Digital