Turnabout Wilds, Part 10 (Chrysalis) FINAL

//June 24, 2028. Defendant Lobby No. 3, 1:12 PM//

I sat down on the couch in the lobby after walking out of the trial. Lily didn't understand. Nobody did. I pulled back my wrist piece to see my scar. Stupid knife. Stupid everything. All I ever try to do is help, and all that ever does is turn around and bite me on my bad wrist, a constant reminder of what my stupid idea has done for me.

All its ever done is ache deep down.

I could hear a distant voice from the other side of the courtroom doors. I knew that listening to it would make me at least a little happier than my own thoughts would.

"Despite all of the unexpected turns this trial has taken, I wish to deliver my verdict." It was the judge. "This court finds the defendant, Cana Ree, not guilty. Court is adjourned!"

People began spilling out of the doors leading into the courtroom. I sunk into the couch in an attempt to not be noticed. But since the couch was red and I was a variety of blues inside and out, I stuck out more than a broken nail in a swarm of manicures.

Lily was talking to Cana nearby when big bro walked over to me. "What happened in there?" he asked, sitting down next to me.

"That murderer almost revealed who I really am. The Oracle of the Law. If you haven't gotten the gist yet, I went undercover as Jo Jade this morning and interrogated him. I also dropped by the bank to get the necessary documents. I had no idea that killer would figure it out," I explained.

"He's been carted off to prison now, sis. Stop worrying," Cotoli assured me.

"But there's a problem with all of this," I told him, feeling my stomach drop. "It took Lucas a month to figure out my secret. Some guy can't just show up and have it all figured out in a day."

"What are you saying?!" Cotoli gasped, eyes wide. "You mean...!?"

I nodded. "One of our helpers is a traitor. It's the only way."

Lily walked over to us, expression worried and serious. "Could you get everybody down at the agency? I have an announcement to make."

Cotoli nodded, standing. He held out a hand to help me to my feet. I took it, liking the feel of comfort that came with holding his hand. It reminded me of the days before this whole mess. I miss all of that.... "Sure." He pulled out his phone and began texting the others. After a few minutes of uneasy silence hanging over us, he put his phone away. "Okay. They'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Then we should get going," I said, not meeting Lily's eyes. I saw her nod out of the corner of my gaze.

I hated keeping secrets from her.

//June 24, 2028. Morix Law Offices, 1:52 PM//

H.T. walked into the agency. "Sorry I'm late," he said, looking around the agency at all of us. Niamh, Yuri, Averl, Sora, and Lucas had arrived nearly ten minutes ago. He was considerably slower than everybody else. Huh....

"It's fine," Lily sighed, shaking her head. Niamh looked around uneasily. If I had to guess, she had heard an emotion that nerved her. 

"Why did you call us all here?" Averl asked seriously.

Lily gulped nervously. "I...I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" Yuri questioned.

"...I'm going to be taking a leave of absence to investigate things," Lily said, staring at the ground. Her gaze was full of regret.

I gasped. "L-Lily!? You're...you're leaving?!" I felt a pang of guilt in my gut. What if she was leaving because of the fact that I left her behind in the trial?! I sniffled and wiped my eyes with both hands.

"I'm really sorry for this. It's just that some trust I value has been called into doubt and I need to ensure that the trust I keep in them isn't blind," Lily told me.

"You're sure about this?" Cotoli asked. He looked at her seriously.

Lily nodded. "Yeah. I'm not sure if some people are worth trusting. Finding out is my top priority as of now."

Niamh nodded. "I understand."

Lily bowed her head silently. She began walking out of the agency, her hair flying by my face. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

Lily paused and turned back around. "I'll be back one day, I promise!"

I walked up to her, trying to swallow my tears. "Promise?" I asked, wanting to make sure that she wasn't going to leave forever.

"Promise." Lily held up her pinky and we shook on it. She smiled at me before walking towards the door.

Lily's fingers curled around the knob and twisted. I frowned and tried to resist the urge to run after her. Lily's friendship was one I didn't want to lose.

Lily walked out of the room and closed the door behind her. I bit my lip and walked into the back room, holding back tears.

I sat down on the bed and grabbed a photo from the bed side table. I held it close to me, not willing to let go of the wooden frame. I didn't even want to look at it, but this object would probably comfort me well until Lily returned from her mistrust fest.

"Chrysalis?"

I looked up to see my brother standing in the doorway. He looked at me in concern. Cotoli walked to the bed and sat down to me before wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Lily's gone...and I think it might be because of me," I answered. "She just left! What if she thinks I'm the untrustworthy one mentioned in those letters!?"

"Things will be okay," Cotoli assured me. "I promise."

But promises can easily be broken....

//June 24, 2028. ????, ???//

"Has the second letter been delivered?"

"Yes."

"Has the mistrust been planted?"

"Of course."

"You do serve us well."

"That's awfully sweet, but I don't need your gratitude."

"Of course not. You're going to do just fine soon anyways."

"When I finally lure out that boy...all will be as planned. Isn't that right, Under Cover Assassin?"

--------------------------------------

hA

THE CLIFFHANGERS ARE GRATE LIKE CHEESE

AINT THE CLIFFHANGAS PERFECT

AND THIS IS JUST GETTING STARTED

T E E H E E H E E ~

-Digiduck