Turnabout Betrayal, Part 5 (Jay)

Ms. Shield seemed to be off her game while we looked over Mr. Lion's body. She gulped upon seeing the gunshot wound. Anybody would have a similar reaction at seeing a bullet lodged inside a man's skull. I was no different when it came to my first cases.

There was nothing odd about the body, but I resolved that the victim died instantly. Anybody would agree. "The victim probably died instantly," I told Ms. Shield. She nodded silently, not taking her eyes off of the ground. She was holding something back. I could tell. "What troubles you?"

Ms. Shield shook her head. "It's nothing."

"You can trust me," I said. "What's wrong?"

Ms. Shield sighed. "What if...somebody you thought that you could trust was really someone you never expected them to be?"

I instantly caught on to what she was saying. "I'd give them a second chance." I actually wouldn't though, as a two faced person by the name of Tora got me killed in the first place. But if it would console Ms. Shield, I was fine with lying.

She clearly saw what Sora calls 'Psyche-Locks,' as Ms. Shield shook her head. "You wouldn't.... So what should I do?"

"What makes you think that you can't trust this unnamed person?" I questioned.

"Well.... After a trial a while back, the culprit, one of the victims, Shiram Lion, accused them of two timing me. I didn't believe him, but his words kept echoing through my mind, near constantly. I eventually couldn't take it anymore, so I left to investigate said person. And now...my trust in them has been called into doubt once again. What do I do?" Ms. Shield sighed again, all the remnants of happiness in her body leaving with her depressed breath.

"That's up to you. Forgiving them or not...that's all up to you. But it will most likely decide your future," I answered.

"And what happens if I mess up?" Ms. Shield questioned, meeting my eyes. Her gaze was filled to the brim with desperation.

"If you do.... You make amends and try again. They'll forgive you," I replied. "If they're truly worth trusting, they'll forgive you and let things go on as they once did."

"And if she doesn't...." Ms. Shield looked down, almost afraid of what my response might be.

"Then.... I'm not sure. But you'll never know until it happens," I replied.

Ms. Shield was silent for a few moments before answering. "Let's check out the other body," she suggested, turning to face Ms. Sinn's corpse.

I did the same, looking at the pale girl's motionless face. Her clothes were stained with blood and the liquid had splattered onto her lips. Such a look didn't fit anybody, not even those with the dirtiest of souls. And this woman certainly had a dirty soul, trying to frame my host for two murders.

"She probably died instantly as well," I resolved. "I wonder if the fingerprint tests are in...."

Ms. Shield's eyes wandered to a pair of gloves that laid on the ground nearby. She curiously walked closer and picked up the objects. "I wonder if these were used by the culprit," she wondered aloud.

"If so, that could mean anybody is the culprit," I frowned. "Including Ms. Taikan."

"Maybe we could get a fingerprint test done on these gloves. That might clear Ms. Taikan's name," Ms. Shield suggested.

"And if I recall correctly, there is a certain somebody who can perform such tests without arising suspicion," I smirked. "Do you know who I mean?"

Ms. Shield nodded. "Of course! Prosecutor Bloom!"

"Last time I saw her from the other world, she was at the hospital watching over one Anton Burke," I told Ms. Shield.

"A-Anton?!" Ms. Shield stammered. "But why?!"

"He was an assault victim of this case," I replied. "I have no idea why he was attacked, as I was watching Sora at the time."

"Maybe Chrysalis will be there as well!" Ms. Shield exclaimed with a smile. She seemed rather hopeful that this would be the truth. Judging by her earlier speech patterns, Ms. Shield had some amends to make with my host's younger sister. Or at the very least, questions for her.

"Let's get going," I suggested.

//August 30, 2028. Hospital Room No. 808, 11:21 AM//

Ms. Shield opened the door to the room silently after sighing, most likely bracing herself for what was about to go down.

On the other side of the door, three figures came into view. One was sitting in a chair, facing the person on the bed, another laying down on the bleak white mattress. The final person was pacing the other side of the room, baseball bat in hand. If I recall correctly, they were Ghastly Bespoke, Anton Burke, and Nevada Wood respectively.

"What'cha doin' here!?" Ms. Wood exclaimed upon us entering the room. She held her bat's handle in one hand before smashing the other end into her open and waiting palm.

"We came looking for Prosecutor Bloom," Lily replied.

"Bloomy ain't here. Go home," Ms. Wood told us dryly.

"Polly went to the Prosecutor's Office about an hour ago. You should be able to find her there," Prosecutor Bespoke said.

I nodded. "Thank you."

"Ah! It's Mr. Ma!" Ms. Wood exclaimed.

"Let's leave. Ms. Wood is going to embarrass me," I hissed to Ms. Shield.

//August 30, 2028. Chief Prosecutor's Office, 11:43 AM//

Ms. Shield and I had already checked Prosecutor Bloom's office for her, but she wasn't there. Some man by the name of Dominic Forge said we could find her in the Chief Prosecutor's office. With that information in mind, Ms. Shield and I approached the doorway. I opened it and Ms. Shield walked inside. I followed.

You'd expect there to be order in the Chief Prosecutor's office.

Expect.

Inside the office, there were two people. One of them threw files into the air while the other flipped over the swivel chair next to the desk. Papers were littering the floor and pens were in the midst. The formerly mentioned black swivel chair was now laying on its side, an angry woman standing above it.

Upon noticing we were there, the woman, Prosecutor Polly Bloom looked up. "This isn't what it looks like!" she exclaimed.

----------------------------------------

Totally not, Polly.

This wasn't going to actually happen, but ah well. Kik chats change sugar.

There isn't much to say here, so....

-Digital