The Falsified Turnabout, Part 5 (Polly)

//July 14, 2028. Courtroom No. 7, 11:17 AM//

"Is the witness ready to tell the court her relation to the defendant?" I asked once court was back in session. Anton looked really concerned about something, but I knew this wasn't the right time to ask him.

Ms. Anderson nodded. "Yeah. It all started when Harry was convicted."

"Why does that matter?" I questioned, hoping she wasn't going to take us on her train of stalling.

"When he was convicted, the three of us came up with a plan," Ms. Anderson began. "It involved getting the insider of a group of criminals who had hurt us in the past. If we could discover things that would lock them up, so many deaths would finally be resolved."

"'Three of us?'"Tenniswood asked.

"Kira, Harry, and myself. We've been planning this since Harry was convicted. He wasn't the real killer, take it from me. It was all part of our plot. Get non-criminals to infiltrate the criminal group. Which is where he comes in," Ms. Anderson continued. "And also where I myself do."

"Y-you?!" Tenniswood questioned.

Ms. Anderson nodded. "I assume you noticed how I'm allowed to walk the prison freely during your investigation. And my clothing not being the typical prison ensemble. It's because most guards and the warden know all about the plan and that I was never convicted. It's been in motion for years now. So if you can't tell, I'm not a criminal at all, just a helper with a grand scheme that has been put at risk."

The people in the gallery started talking, so I turned to Anton. "What's wrong?" I asked, curious.

"Order in the court!" the judge yelled. I groaned as people started to quiet down. Couldn't the people chatter when I needed a second to talk to Anton?! "Witness! Why would you confess to that out of nowhere?!"

"Because...somebody out there in the gallery is watching...waiting for me to do that...." Ms. Anderson answered. "They told me I had to...or else...they'd hurt him...!" She hugged herself and stared at the ground in silence.

"Who?!" I questioned.

"I-I can't tell you...! He's going to get hurt and it will all by my fault and I don't want him to get hurt because of me!" Ms. Anderson yelled.

"Who is blackmailing you?!" Tenniswood shouted, slamming her hands on the desk in front of her.

"No! For the last time, if Anton gets hurt because of me, I won't forgive myself ever!" Ms. Anderson exclaimed.

Silence covered the court as every eye stared at Ms. Anderson, who's eyes were wide. "Argh! Stupid!"

"So, as far as I can tell, the witness is being blackmailed with the safety of the prosecution's co-counsel," Tenniswood deduced.

"But why would the witness feel so worried for the prosecution's co-counsel?" the judge asked. "As far as I can tell, they've never met. How would this make any sense?"

"You and the prosecution's co-counsel know one another, don't you?" Tenniswood questioned.

"I can't say," Ms. Anderson answered. "It's for the safety of everybody here. That mastermind will stop at nothing to get what they want. And what they want...what they want...!"

"What do they want?" I asked.

"For...for me to give in to their needs. I can't say any more than that. They already know I spilled this much because they're watching the trial because they want to see if I revealed anything about the blackmail. Since I did, who knows what will happen to Anton?!" Ms. Anderson yelled, tears forming in her eyes.

"...Do you even know who's blackmailing you?" Ms. Rinko questioned.

Ms. Anderson sighed and nodded. "Yeah. But if I say even the slightest part of their name, everything I know will be put into danger. An understandable predicament, if I do say so myself."

I sighed and crossed my arms. "The prosecution wishes for one more day of investigation."

"What for?" the judge asked.

I rolled my eyes. "Isn't it obvious? To figure out who blackmailed the witness. There would have to be a reason for it and the most reasonable possibility is that the witness knows something about the crime that the blackmailer didn't want getting out."

"Does the defense have any objections?" the judge asked.

Tenniswood shook her head. "No, Your Honor."

The judge nodded. "In that case, court is adjourned for one more day of investigation!"

And with that, he slammed down his gavel.

//July 14, 2028. Prosecution Lobby, 1:01 PM//

"Is e-everything going to b-be okay, P-Polly?" Anton stammered in the prosecution lobby.

I sighed. "I hope so, Anton," I said.

"I'm sorry," Ms. Anderson whispered, walking up to Anton and I. "I didn't mean to slip up like that."

"So, you're not really a criminal?" I asked.

Ms. Anderson shook her head. "No. And...excuse me Anton, but could I have a moment with Po-Prosecutor Bloom?"

Anton nodded and walked away in confusion. If Chrysalis were here, she'd probably say something like 'cinnamon bun' at this.

"What is it?" I questioned when Ms. Anderson and I were alone. I had so many questions that they meshed together in my head, but I figured I could hold my confusion off for just a little bit longer.

"Could you do a little something for me?" Ms. Anderson asked.

"What sort of 'little something?'" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Watch Anton closely. If our time in court didn't prove enough, Anton's in a lot of trouble right now," Ms. Anderson answered. "If somebody tries to get a little too close, then intervene."

"How do you know Anton?" I asked, unable to keep back my confusion any longer.

"Anton and I were...acquainted a long time ago. Before the project went into motion three years ago. But I can't really say anything more than that," Ms. Anderson replied.

"Y-you ready to go, P-Polly?" Anton questioned, walking up to the two of us. Ms. Anderson shied away from his gaze.

I nodded. I could save my other questions for when I questioned Ms. Anderson later. "Yeah. Thanks for talking with me, Ms. Anderson."

She nodded. "You're welcome."

But today's trial had made one thing clear:

Not everything about this case was what it seemed.

-----------------------------------

IhavetotallynotbeenforeshadowingatonwithErinwhat.

Well, this story is really fun to write because the plot is grate like cheese. : )

Peace out from me since I have no idea what I'm supposed to say here!

Oh yeah, name credits:

Shiram Lion-ThatWaffleKid

Kira & Harry Galle-Girlinatophat

Sorry for not tagging them. My laptop is being annoying as heck. o-o

-Digital