Turnabout Betrayal, Part 16 (Lily)

//September 1, 2028. Defendant Lobby No. 1, 9:32 AM//

Upon entering the defendant lobby with Jay, I was bombarded with sound. "Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!"

I flinched from the sound. Gosh. Talk about loud.

Chrysalis ran up to Jay and I, saluting us. "Nice to see you two!" she smiled.

I smiled. "You come to watch the trial?"

Chrysalis shook her head. "Yes and no. I want to apologize for how I acted two days ago. I was wondering if it might be okay to help you out in court, you know, if you decide to forgive me. If not, I'm fine with that."

The most common thing a person will lie about is if they're fine or not. This was clearly one of those times.

I wrapped an arm around the younger girl's shoulders. "I'd be perfectly fine with that," I grinned. Now that the doubts surrounding our friendship were cleared, I felt ten million times better about her helping out in court.

Jay smiled our direction. "I guess you won't be needing little old me anymore then, now that you two have made up," he said. "I should probably leave Sora's body now."

Chrysalis shook her head. "No! We're about to go in a courtroom! Courtroom! Ever heard of Tora Yin?"

Jay frowned. "That's the weirdest part: Sora hasn't been able to channel Tora since the day of the crime. Weird, right?"

"I've actually noticed something," I said. "The day we met Ms. Taikan, she was addressing me as Sacred Lily. But yesterday, she called Jay and I by our last names. She knew Jay's last name."

Chrysalis gasped. "Do you think that...?!"

Jay nodded. "Sora was unable to channel Tora the night of the crime because she was already being channeled by Ms. Taikan. Not to mention that Ms. Taikan knew my last name even though I was killed six years ago. The only explanation is that-"

"Ms. Shield! Ms. Starr! Mr. Yang!"

Ms. Taikan dashed up to us all. "It's nice to see you all today!"

Chrysalis frowned. "Ms. Taikan. We wish to discuss your recent odd behavior."

"Me? Acting odd? I believe you are mistaken, Ms. Starr," Ms. Taikan replied.

"Whatever happened to the way you address other mediums? Sacred Chrysalis?" Chrysalis questioned, her gaze interrogative. "And how did you know that my sister was channeling somebody, much less his last name and the fact that it was a man?!"

"Court will now enter session!" the bailiff exclaimed. "Defense and defendant must proceed to the courtroom at this time!"

"It's time for the trial. We'll chat later. And I have a little surprise for you when we arrive in court," Ms. Taikan smiled, though it was more of a smirk if you want the truth. She walked off into the courtroom, giggling under her breath.

Chrysalis turned to me solemnly. "It's definitely true. Ms. Taikan is for sure channeling a certain psycho prosecutor."

Jay frowned. "I always wanted to get rid of Tora, but this isn't the way of doing it."

"I wonder why Tora would want to play with Ms. Taikan. She's been toying with my sister since I was twelve," Chrysalis wondered aloud.

"I know why," Jay whispered as we walked into the courtroom. "Because Sora has learned to control her. To keep Tora from harming, much less murdering, anybody."

"Suddenly, things make sense," I muttered. "Now, just to prove it with evidence."

//September 1, 2028. Courtroom No. 1, 10:00 AM//

"Court is now back in session for the trial of Aoi Taikan. Are the defense and prosecution ready?" the judge asked.

I nodded in reply. "My Shield of Justice is ready, My Lord!"

"Prosecution's ready," Prosecutor Moody announced simply.

The judge nodded. "I take that both sides have investigated thoroughly."

Prosecutor Moody crossed her arms. "Yeah. I have a new witness to call since yesterday's witness refuses to testify again."

I turned to Chrysalis, who shot me a wink with a smile. I grinned back. Honestly, cross-examining her hurt. I didn't want to do it at all.

"You may call your witness, Prosecutor Moody," the judge told Prosecutor Moody.

"I now call the defendant to the witness stand!" Prosecutor Moody announced.

Ms. Taikan walked up to the witness stand. She tossed her head to the side upon arriving up there.

"That's exactly what Tora used to before she died," Jay hissed at Chrysalis and I.

"I remember. It was really irritating," Chrysalis nodded.

"Witness. Name and occupation," Prosecutor Moody instructed.

"Aoi Taikan. I'm a spirit medium," Ms. Taikan answered.

"Please testify, in detail, about the night of the crime," Prosecutor Moody demanded.

Ms. Taikan nodded. "Alright."

WITNESS TESTIMONY: AOI TAIKAN- THE NIGHT OF THE CRIME

-I got invited by a note to go to the crime scene.

-I followed the note's instructions and arrived at the same time as Bur-er, Mr. Burke.

-He said something that made me mad, so I picked up a nearby tree branch and hit him with it.

-After that, I killed both of the victims.

-Surprise, Shield! Ufufufu!

"N-no way!" I whispered.

"The defendant has confessed. We can end the trial right now, if you want," Prosecutor Moody smirked.

"The defense wishes to cross-examine the witness," I said.

"Go on, Ms. Shield," the judge instructed.

CROSS-EXAMINATION: AOI TAIKAN- THE NIGHT OF THE CRIME

-I got invited by a note to go to the crime scene.

-I followed the note's instructions and arrived at the same time as Bur-er, Mr. Burke.

-He said something that made me mad, so I picked up a nearby tree branch and hit him with it.

-After that, I killed both of the victims.

-Surprise, Shield! Ufufufu!

"OBJECTION!"

I slammed my hands on the defense bench. "You can drop the act now."

"Act?" Ms. Taikan asked.

"We all know you're channeling somebody. Well, you are a spirit being channeled at present," I explained.

"What are you talking about, Shield?!" Ms. Taikan hissed.

"The defendant used to refer to myself and my female partner as Sacred Lily and Sacred Chrysalis respectively. But ever since that hairstyle change, you've been addressing us differently. This way of talking to others is shared with another spirit who I believe to be a culprit to this crime," I explained. "Tora Yin! Explain everything to the court!"

-------------------------------

Obvious plot twists.

Note to friends:

I won't be posting much tomorrow due to me going to a party for my theater group and then having a sleepover at my rl friend's house. I promise I'll post more asap.

-Digital