Chapter 39 - Final good bye

As I opened my eyes I couldn't believe myself. It was already afternoon and we slept till now. Well, I slept till now, Jamie was still sleeping. What a miracle. I threw a quick glance on my phone and saw three missed calls. Abrupt I sat myself up and saw that they were from Jim. I scurried into the living room and tried to call him back. Nothing. I knew he wanted to take a break, so it must have been something important. It was kinda weird how we headed in our own ways, we didn't even say good bye. After this time, it doesn't count to say he was my hero in my childhood, because the things in the nearer past were the worst someone could do to anyone who is said to be so important. I didn't doubt his feelings, but also I thought it would be right if he both headed in different ways. Nevertheless I wanted to say goodbye finally. Once more I tried to call him and somehow a strange tone came from the other side of the flat. As I turned around I realized it came from the door. I rushed over to it and opened it, not wondering who was standing there. "Jim, why didn't you take those calls?" He just shrugged. "I had the chance to see you, why calling then?" That was the Jim I knew. Somehow there were equalities to Jamie. Cheeky or even cheesy comments were their way of being friendly. I opened the door and let him step in. "What is it?" Head shaking I followed him into the living room again. My answer sounded like I wasn't pleased to see him. Maybe that was a property of mine, saying things I didn't mean. He sat down, and I eyed him up, trying to guess what he was going to say. "I'm leaving", he said with a serenity that somehow didn't even suprise me. WIth a more piercing glance I forced him to say more than just that. "I've got a new job. Distant from here, from you." The fact that I thought we already had seen us the last time didn't change my feeling of disappointment. Perhaps I wanted to hear something more positive. Like he was glad to see me, and would still want to come around a few times a week. Or a month. Deep inside I knew he wanted to say so, but he made a decision. Without discussing but by heart. It was the best for both of us, for the course of our lives. They say someone you've got since your childhood you shouldn't ever let go. They lie, I can tell you. People change, and even relations do. We were too far apart from each other. What doesn't mean I'll forget about our bright past. It was great, I was happy. Emphasis on was. 
"How distant?", I wanted to know. In fact I just tried to break the silence. Situations like this were really hard. "Far enough. If this won't help us, I don't know how else." Nodding I sat down. 
"I know, I said I would be there for you in any case, but please just call me in emergency. I'm really trying to get over this." His finger swung between us. "Me too", I whispered and swallowed hard. The next time he left this flat, I maybe would never see him again. "Before you go, I just want you to know that I never regeretted what we had. You exactly know what you meant to me. I'll never forget you. For now, I just can wish you the best for you journey. Wherever it may take you." My smile was crooked, but it was real. He deserved starting a new chapter of his life. To be honest, his life wasn't really better as mine the last time. We both deserved it. And with this step, we made it. And it felt good.  

So now also Jim is gone. Jamie and Thea deserve a brighter future, don't they? :) 
xskinny