> V <

"Ok, as you all know, I am very big when it comes down to group projects," Mr. Lowe, the English teacher, announced to the class.

A chorus of groans ran through the air and Mr. Lowe only bit back a smile. Everybody knew that he knew that the seniors hated anything having to do with working in his classroom - he always chose the wrong pair.

"First, I will tell you what this project is based about," He started as he walked over to the board and picked up a black marker, "Next, we choose partners - or, as I'd like to happily correct, I choose partners."

"Can we not get anything big?" Kyle had asked as he slouched down in his chair. "Last year I heard you had the seniors be partners for the remainder of the year."

"Lucky for you, Kyle, you heard correct." Mr. Lowe said as he started to write The Story Within Us on the board. The class groaned again.

"Way to go, Kyle. You've made our lives a hundred times better." Mia snapped as she looked back to glare at, the now bummed out, Kyle.

Michael had flipped through his To Kill a Mockingbird book and kept stealing glances towards the front of the classroom.

"This project will make you, and your partner, know better of each other. I expect you two to write a four page essay on one another. Make sure to start from the beginning until now. I want you to point out the flaws and accomplishments in one another. Make sure to add your own thoughts to the paper and your after thoughts in the conclusion." Mr. Lowe started. Michael had put his book down slowly as he put his full blown attention on this. Who wanted to know about Michael? It would be a plain, bland piece of paper. "And, even though I'm giving you six months to do this - I want it done by March - I want it to be the best damn piece of paper you've ever written. We will obviously have drafts before the big final."

The class was quiet.

"Wait, so you mean that's the only project we'll be working on?" Michael's neighboring seat mate, Carlos Santana, had asked in a very unsure tone.

Mr. Lowe let out a booming laugh. However, it sobered up quickly. "Ah, no. What do you take me for? There are other small projects you will do during this year. But this one. . . it's about fifty percent of your grade."

The air grew tense and Michael begged in his mind that Mr. Lowe would give him somebody easy to do the project with. He didn't have a problem writing the essay, just finding the person. Everybody was avoiding him like the plague.

"OK. Now onto the fun part - picking partners." Mr. Lowe said with a chuckle as he pulled out a paper from his desk.

"He obviously had too much time on his hands to do this." Mia grumbled out to the class, who only raised their eyebrows and some nodded in agreement.

"No. It was pretty easy for me to choose the partners for you guys. It took me a minute to do this." Mr. Lowe defended as he went around his desk and leaned against it.

"Whatever you say." Mia said in a low voice.

"If you don't want me to hear you talk, you got to speak in a lower voice." Mr. Lowe said in a mocking tone. "But, since you're so jumpy, I'll let you know first. You are paired with Michael Harris."

He didn't even look down when he said that - stared straight into her eyes. Mia reeled back and dropped her jaw, a look of disgust was now on her face.

"Uh - no! You must have made a mistake, Mr. Lowe. I am not going to be partners with that nerd!" She told him as she jabbed a finger - almost popping out Jamie's, the girl next to her, eye - in Michael's direction.