> XX <

"Your brother must have been sad." Principal Dawson said in sympathy as he walked down the empty hallways with Justianny.

She had just come out of her global classroom — she had been last because Ms. Torres had talked her about her fantastic grade in their previous test. She had aced it, one-hundred percent.

She had been heading towards the lunchroom when she bumped into Principal Dawson, who had just come out of his office with a warm smile.

Now, they were talking about the football game that was postponed between them and Ridgeway due to them being short on players that day.

"Yeah. I mean, football is his life." Justianny said as she nodded slowly. A smile formed on her face as she looked up at the man next to her. "But, at least we get to play them today. If there's anything Justin loves, it's to play football. I know he's itching to grab that ball." She thought about it. "Well, I don't know how he's going to do it — they have a game tomorrow, too."

Principal Dawson chuckled as he looked down at her in amazement. He then chuckled and his grey eyes twinkled. "How about you, Justianny? What do you love to do?"

She remembered when Martin asked her that question the first time they spoke to each other. She almost frowned at the memory, but remembered she was speaking to somebody.

"I love to play softball, and run." She answered with a soft smile.

"Oh, well, there is no doubt in that." He chuckled and she joined along with him. "And, when did you start playing softball?"

She blinked once. She had been surprised at the question since, ever since she played, nobody has ever asked her. Always wowed by her skills, but never did ask why she started or why she loved it.

"I was eleven when Justin taught me. Well. He taught me how to catch the ball." She paused to giggle, a secretive giggle and Mr. Dawson was curious to know what that was about. "Justin doesn't really know how to play baseball — he throws it like a football. It was a good thing I taught myself the mechanics. He tried his very best to keep up with me, and I don't blame him. He tries his very best to connect with me."

Justianny's eyes seemed to grow sad as she looked forward and sighed. I just wished I could connect with him. It's a shame he closes himself to the world. Even with me.

Principal Dawson's eyebrows scrunched up in worry. He reached his hand up to grab onto her shoulder firmly. She stopped and looked up at him again.

"Justianny. I am here if anything. At all." He told her, his voice filled with certainty and something else Justianny couldn't quite catch. "If you have a problem with anything here–" he touched his chest, "or here–" he pointed to his temple, "just know that I'll try my very best to help you. Ok?"

Justianny nodded once. He gave her a warm smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, but Justianny smiled back at him anyways.

He stood there for a while, until he shook his head and let go of her. In a low voice, he said, "You should get to the cafeteria now, I wouldn't want you to starve."

Justianny nodded, then gave him a genuine smile. "Thank you for the offer, Principal Dawson. I hope you have a good day."