> XXV <

"Justin."

Justin looked up at Coach Evans, who chewed his gum loudly and looked at him with a pensive look – as if he wanted to try something new.

"What's up, Coach?" Justin asked as he placed his helmet in the crook of his arm. Martin had just returned from the coin toss and had told Coach Evans that Bayridge was going to start with a kick-off.

"I want to try something new with you today." He started, then looked over at Xavier. "Willis, come 'ere."

Xavier walked from the bench and over to them. He gave Justin a cold glare before looking up at the Coach. "What's up, Coach?"

"You're playing quarterback today." He told him. Xavier's lips spread into a smile and he nodded.

Justin gave him a look of confusion — sure, he didn't mind not starting the game, but, what was the point of this? Maybe he had something behind it.

"Ok, now go away." He said as he patted Xavier on the shoulder with his clipboard. He turned back to Justin again.

"You've ever played something besides quarterback?" He asked him as he placed his hands on his hips.

Justin nodded. "Yes, sir. In freshman year, I had played cornerback."

Coach Evans lips curved up into a smile, then he patted Justin on the head twice. "Kid, I'm going to need you to do something. I know you will give me your all based on your past performances. Now. . ."

.

The punter from the other team had done what he needed to do. However, as the ball played in the air, Justin could see that it was going straight to him.

That was what Coach Evans wanted him to do. Play kick returner and score a touchdown. If he was to do this, it would give them some sort of advantage into winning the game.

As soon as the ball landed into his hands, he looked down at the field, where he found everybody from the opposing team run towards him.

He could have taken the knee after this, but that wasn't what he was going to do.

He found the gap on the side and sprinted that way. He saw a few of his teammates bringing some of the opponents down, the others were trying their very best to barricade him.

He could hear his stands cheer louder as he slightly looked back to see that one of the opponents had slipped through and held out his arm to push the player towards the floor.

"Go, kid, go!" Coach Evans cheered on as he hopped down the sideline along with Justin.

"Come on, Justin! Come on!" He could hear Kyle, Leroy, and a few others cheer on too.

He charged up on his speed and saw, from his peripheral vision, an opponent barreling straight for him. In front of him, he could see the touchdown. It was so close that Justin could taste it.

I'm going to have to do the jump He thought to himself. Blame it on the adrenaline, or maybe his acrobatic skills that he had to thank football for. . . As soon as the opponent tried the tackle, Justin pushed himself upwards and flew over the guy.