> IX <

"Why would the Principal call us in?" Justin asked himself as he and his sister walked down the hallways of Pacific Bell.

"Well, we were both told at the same time. How should I know?" Justianny had asked her brother as they turned to another hallway.

Justin looked down at his sister with a lazy gaze and she smiled at him. "It was a rhetorical question, my little sister." He lifted his hand up to ruffle her hair and she giggled, swatting his hand away.

"It's my job to make your life difficult." Justianny informed her brother as they entered the wooden door that read Principal Dawson in black letters.

They had been called in by Ms. Alvarez, the school's secretary, telling them that Mr. Dawson wanted to speak to them.

"Make sure you don't make it too difficult." He told her in a dry tone, but sent his sister a small smile after that.

Principal Dawson had been sitting down behind his desk, writing some sort of information in some file there.

He was an older man, sixty years of age. His head of hair and lightly shaven beard were both pure white. He looked up and his gray eyes looked at Justin, then towards Justianny, sending both of them a small smile.

He placed the pen down and sat up in his chair. "Good morning, Justin and Justianny. Please, take a seat."

They did as told and looked at each other before looking back at him.

"Is there anything we did?" Justin asked Mr. Dawson.

"If this has to do with me leaving earlier than the school's dismissal time, I promise I'm not cutting." Justianny rushed out. Justin looked at her with a raised eyebrow and Justianny gave him a guilty look.

Mr. Dawson chuckled and shook his head sideways. "I am perfectly aware that you are on the softball team. Don't worry about it." He looked at both of them and clapped his hands together.

"I wanted to know: How are you two taking in this experience?" He asked them. "I know this is much different than it is in California."

"I love it here!" Justianny said in an enthusiastic tone, her lips widened into a smile. "The students are great, the teachers are awesome, and the sports here are fantastic."

Justin chuckled, amused at his little sister's sudden burst of enthusiasm. But, then again, he was expecting it.

Justin looked at Mr. Dawson and nodded his head. "This school is good so far, hopefully it stays that way."

Mr. Dawson smiled and nodded his head. He looked towards Justin. "That's good. Also, I saw your game on Friday. It was very good; you're an outstanding player."

"Thank you, Mr. Dawson." Justin told him. He looked over at the time, then grabbed onto the chair. "I'm sorry, I have to go to my English class right now -- Mr. Lowe doesn't really tolerate lateness."

Mr. Dawson quickly nodded his head and waved over to the door. "No, it's perfectly fine. Don't worry. Go to your class, and keep your grades up! You can really make it one day."