> XXVI <

"This is the third time, Ciara."

Ciara looked out of the passenger's seat window and breathed on it. She then drew a smiley face on the smoky glass.

"Dad, I don't care." She said as she turned to look at her father. He had been wearing his pajamas and giving her a worried look. His eyes went back on the road and she turned to look forward. "I told you, dad. I love that car. It was our family car. And if you think about getting it pounded, I will walk from home to school for the rest of the year."

She could see him frown again from her peripheral vision. With a sigh, she turned to look at him. "Look, dad. It's getting fixed as we speak. Don't worry about anything. It's not like I'm stranded every time that happens."

Daniel looked over at Ciara with a flat look and she gave him an innocent smile. He shook his head and breathed out, then stopped near the entrance of the parking lot.

"Fine. You've won, princess." He said, turning to her and reached over to poke her on her nose. Ciara rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue. He chuckled at her and asked, "You've got money to take the bus? Or do you want me to give you money for a cab?"

"Either way, I'm covered, dad." She told him as she slipped on her book bag straps over her shoulders.

"Ok, hun. I love you." He told her and she nodded her head as she opened the passenger door and climbed out.

"I love you, too, dad." She said over her shoulder as she closed the door.

Then she heard her dad say something she'd hope she never hear again:

"Oh, hey, Martin!"

She turned to see Martin's car right next to her father's with his windows down. He had been looking at Daniel with a smile on his face. Ciara turned on her heels and laid over the window on the passenger side.

"I knew the car looked too familiar." Martin said and Ciara narrowed her eyes as she glared at Martin. It quickly wiped away when her father turned to look at her with a smile.

"Hey, Ciara—Oh, I thought you were farther. Look who I'm talking to!"

Ciara gave her father a flat look and raised an eyebrow. In a tone that matched her reaction, she said, "I can see, father."

Martin looked past Daniel and towards Ciara. His smile became more genuine, and her glare returned. He better not. He better not. He better—

"So, how is Lia?"

He did.

Daniel chuckled. "She's great around the house. You know, don't tell anybody I told you but. . . She kind of misses you."

Martin's eyes began to sparkle and he leaned against the window. "She does? Tell her that the feeling is mutual."

Ciara breathed out through her nose. Dad, you and I will have to speak about this later.

"Don't you have a project to work on, dad?" Ciara said before her father could say anything else. Anything else that would give Martin that small feeling of hope when her decision was final.