< XXXVII >

Martin looked towards his mother and grabbed her hand with a smile.

Camille smiled back at her son and handed him his plate. "Happy Thanksgiving, Martin." She said as she placed it down.

"Happy Thanksgiving, mom." He said as he reached over to pick up his cup. Ronald had gone over with a pitcher filled with lemonade and poured in the cup.

Camille looked up at Ronald and smiled at him as he continued to then pour lemonade into her cup. "Happy Thanksgiving, Ronald. I told you that you didn't have to work today. . . Actually, I told everybody that they didn't have to work today."

Ronald let out a slight chuckle and shook his head sideways. "Miss Camille, we are grateful to serve you and Mr. Martin on a day like this. We are all family here, we celebrate this holiday together."

Martin nodded his head slowly and turned to Ronald. "You should know how mom is, Ronald." He said as he let go of his mother's hand to grab his fork. "She's way too nice for her own—"

The sound of the front doors slamming open were heard and in that split moment, everything changed. Ronald moved back from the table and stood back with the other maids, Camille's gaze went straight to her lap, and Martin gripped onto his fork, a grim expression set to hit face.

The sound of multiple things crashing on the floor was heard and Camille flinched each time it happened.

"Ha, ha. Don't worry, someone'll clean this up!" Gabriel slurred out from the entrance of the house. Great, he's drunk. Martin thought. "If someone doesn't clean this up quick, someone's gonna get fi-red!"

After the sound of multiple footsteps were heard, Gabriel's maniacal laugh rung through the house. He then appeared at the entrance of the dining room, swinging sideways and having to hold onto the doorway.

What an embarrassment. Martin thought to himself as he clenched his jaw.

"Oh, dinner? Without me?" He hiccuped as his glazed eyes looked over the dining room and the people inside. "Isn't this supposed to be a family thing?"

After not getting an answer, he scowled and pushed himself off of the doorway to stand straight. After a few failed attempts he shook his head and placed his hands behind his back. "No one helping a defenseless man. Hurts my heart. Camille come here."

She squeezed her eyes shut and breathed in deeply. She then went to scramble up, but was stopped.

"No."

The sound of the chair scrapping across the floor was heard and Martin stood up to walk towards his father.

He stopped right before his father and said, "I know what you want to do to her. So whatever it is, just tell me."

Gabriel looked over his son before a smirk came onto his face. He tilted his head sideways and shook his head slowly as he continued to sway back and forth.

"Of course, try to bring the most weakest person into my presence." Gabriel let out slowly. Martin kept his gaze on his father, already sensing what was coming to him. He didn't know if he was going to be able to keep strong. "Martin, Martin, Martin. My only son? Some people are happy to have something like that. One boy. Star football player in the team. Good grades. . ."