< XLVIII >

A/N: Every chapter after this one will not be separated between memory and present. Some will, however, but there will be a warning beforehand!

Enjoy :)

{•.•}{•.•}{•.•}

Mia looked at Ciara leave the front door right after she said dad, and her father looked at Mia before he looked down in guilt and ran off after Ciara.

Mia watched as he closed the door, then turned to her mother, who had her mouth covered in embarrassment and eyes beginning to water up.

"Mom, what the hell was that?" Mia let out slowly. She never said a curse around her mother, or even to her, but this. . . This was ridiculous.

Her father? Mia thought to herself and she could see just how much hurt and anger ran through Ciara's eyes. It had been the first time that she had seen one of her parents. . . but why did it not feel that way?

"I'm. . . I'm sorry. . ." Melissa choked out and Mia snapped her attention to her. Her mother looked out into the distance, and a few loose tears fell down her cheeks as she whispered, "He looks like him. . ."

She didn't know how she knew what her mother meant. A deep feeling entered through her chest and she found herself tearing up. "Like who? Like dad?" She stuttered out.

Melissa began to sob, but Mia stayed rooted to the spot. "I've missed him so much. . . It's been so long and he won't let me see him. . ."

Mia, confused and surprised, stepped back and placed a hand over her chest. "You speak of him as if he's still alive, mom. He's dead, right?" Slowly she let out, "Like you've been telling me, right?"

Melissa didn't respond, and frustrated, Mia let out, "Mom!"

She flinched at that, then looked away from her and Mia's face softened. Her jaw began to quiver and she stepped backward until she reached the door.

She then turned around and opened it. Her mother didn't even attempt to stop her when she ran out of it.

.

"Mia? What's wrong?"

She ran into Michael's arms and gave him a tight hug. He had been startled a bit, but he hugged her back.

She didn't know why she hadn't gone to Cristina, her best friend. . . She didn't know why she felt much more comfortable telling Michael what had happened just moments earlier.

"Let's go to my room? Okay?" He asked and she nodded her head.

"Everything's wrong, Michael." She whispered out when she plopped onto the bed.

He looked at her worriedly, then pushed the door, leaving it slightly open.

She had left earlier this day in a great state. . . What happened?

"Michael, I just found Ciara's dad and my mom kissing. . ." She whispered out and he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. The other caressed her softly.

"Then. . . Michael, I. . ." She didn't blink as the tears formed into her eyes. She turned to look at him and her tears fell down her cheeks. His lower lip slightly jutted out.