< XLIV >

"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." Cristina said to her best friend. Mia giggled as she sent a text back. Her smile then wiped away when she looked up at Cristina, still thinking about the text.

"I know." Mia said, making sure to lock her phone before Cristina could see the selfie that she had shared with Michael the day that they had gone out to eat lunch with his parents.

He never told her what his father and he talked about, but she didn't want to know. After he caught them cuddling, possibly kissing—

She cut her thoughts short and a blush creeped up her face.

"What's got you blushing?" Cristina asked as she slightly widened her eyes. She then gasped lightly and whispered, "Is it a boy?"

Mia's eyes cut up to Cristina's and she placed a scowl on her face. She quickly placed her phone down on the couch and gave Cristina a knowing look. "No. why would a boy make me blush? I'm not, you know, for that."

She couldn't have Cristina suspicious about her liking someone! What if she found out what happened with Michael? She would be so disappointed. . .

And then the whole school would turn their backs on her!

She'd just have to keep Michael her little secret. . . As much as she never thought that she would admit it, he made her feel good.

"I just, well, saw something funny that my mom sent me. And I just blushed because, well, I'm kind of cold." Mia said and she could see Cristina's lips turn down a little. Shit. She stood up quickly and, in the same manner, said, "I've got to go use the bathroom."

As Mia looked in the mirror she chastised herself. How could she have let her guard down like that? Around her best friend?

Could she even call herself that? Mia had kept something big from her.

Well, two things, she thought to herself and she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to forget that dark memory that kept her up every night.

But. . . Only when Michael wasn't there. . .

Did she. . . like him?

"That's impossible." She muttered to herself as she shook her head. Michael and her wouldn't be considered the same. . . She was different than him. . . If she was to come out and tell the school about her and Michael being a, well, 'thing,' they would treat her like a fool. . . Exile her. . . And, she couldn't have that.

Not when she worked so hard to become loved by many. . .

She shook her head and opened the faucet for cold water, then splashed some into her face.

Stop thinking about that, Mia. She thought to herself as she shook her head. Keep Michael your secret for now, and when you graduate, you'll never look back.

He'll just be a. . . memory.

Mia frowned at that, then jumped slightly when she remembered something.

My phone! OMG what if Michael sent me a text?! Sure, I may have him under M and the satisfied emoji, but Cristina could suspect! I can't!

She took a deep breath and calmly opened, with more force than necessary, the bathroom door. And looked at her best friend, who turned around with her phone in hand.

Mia already expected the worst, but then Cristina smiled and said, "You, out of all people, forgot your freaking phone."