< XLVII >

Justin sighed as he brought the hood of the car down.

"Kid, it's lunch time. What do you want to eat?" Kenny had asked as he walked out of his office. He had been putting on his winter coat while looking at Justin questioningly.

"It's fine, Kenny. I don't want to—"

"Sh. I thought we were already past this stage." He said as he waved him off. "I'm just gonna get you some Subway."

Before he could say anything, Kenny had called out to one of his sons and they had both left the garage.

Justin ran a hand through his hair and took a chair near to him, sitting down. He placed his head into his hands and shook it.

Just the other day, the scout for the University of Alabama had called him to tell him how interested he had been in recruiting Justin for football.

Yeah, he was ecstatic inside. Never believed that something like that would happen—he didn't even know whether scouts personally called players like that.

But, reality sinked in. He couldn't leave his little sister like that—she would be devastated in a house like that. . . Even if she knew her father was close by.

He told him that he was sorry, that Justin wasn't the player that he wanted to have on the team, but, he told him that he knew that that was the answer Justin would give him and told him that he was willing to be patient with him. . .

Justin had been so surprised at what he said that he hadn't heard when Mr. King, the scout, told him that he was going to go see him one day.

He knew his little sister would want him to accept it—after all it was his dream school—but he couldn't, he could only envision her, miserable, while he played away without a care in the world.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

He remembered when Ciara had asked him that question on the hill that overlooked the city. . .

Then he remembered her and what he had told her the last time they saw each other.

She wouldn't understand, of course not. She couldn't understand.

Yes, Justin, walk away from your problems, like you always do! You need to learn how to face them for once!

He let out a frustrated groan and shook his head. He did walk away from problems, he walked away from anything that seemed like a problem—only because he felt as if he was going through enough.

That's why he couldn't be with someone like Ciara—she didn't deserve him, or his fucked-up shit. No matter how tempting or how understanding she was—she was still someone who pushed his boundaries and made him uncomfortable at times.

Why wont you let me help you?!

Justin pulled his hands down and folded them, then looked at the dusty floor that he'd have to clean later.

He sighed deeply before saying, "You can't, Ciara. You can't help me."

.

Michael watched as Mia wiped the tears from her eyes and he discreetly did the same.

"This movie is so sad and happy at the same time." Mia slightly sobbed out then looked over at Michael and a smile spread across her face. "No way, you nerd. You were crying, too?"