< XXXVI >

"Hello?"

"H-hello?" Mia paused and put her phone against her chest. She took a deep breath, pushing the sob down, and said, "Hey, mom."

"Oh, Mia—you almost scared me. I thought something happened, baby."

Mia's lower lip trembled. "Oh, no, nothing. Just, um. I practiced today."

Melissa let out a gleeful sound and giggled. "Finally! I know you're so happy baby girl. How was it?"

Mia felt like bursting out into tears. For one, she didn't feel safe being all alone in her home anymore, now that Xavier was popping her lock. She didn't want to be there—she had been crying every two minutes or so.

"I-it was good, mom. Just. . .very exhausted. Hey, mom?"

"Yes, baby girl?"

"When do you come back? I miss you." Mia whispered out, tears streaming down her cheeks.

The line went silent for a moment and Mia covered her face, already knowing the answer.

"The projects around this time of the year are big, baby. I wont be back until after a while. . . I might be missing Thanksgiving. But, I'm all yours after that, baby. I miss you so much." Melissa let out sadly. Mia nodded her head in understanding, then realized that her mother wasn't physically there. "Have you been sleeping over Cristina's? I know she will welcome you with open arms, right?"

"Yeah. . . I'm sure she will." Mia answered, her voice small. She wished she could be in somebody's arms, hugging her and telling her that it was OK. But, at moments like this, Mia knew that she could only comfort herself.

"How about you get some sleep, honey. I know it's late over there and you have school tomorrow." She heard her mother say. When Mia agreed to it, they kissed each other goodnight and hung up the phone.

Mia laid down on her bed and tossed her phone onto the nightstand. She curled up into a ball and imagined that her mother was there. When she closed her eyes, she saw both her mother's hand and another manly hand right at her shoulder, telling her that it was going to be OK.

Everything came crashing in again and she began to cry, the thought of both her mother and father being there to comfort her.

{•.•}{•.•}{•.•}

Ciara ran a hand through her hair, checking out her roots, while looking at her reflection on her phone. She sighed as she left her hair alone. When she put her phone away, she looked up and saw Justianny walking down the hallways, nose into her a textbook.

"Justianny!" She called out as she rushed up to her. She grabbed onto her arm and Justianny looked at Ciara with wide eyes, fear coursing through her veins. Did Mia tell her everything?

"I've been looking everywhere for you. Let's go work on posters for Michael." She said as she tilted her head towards the end of the hallway.

She let out a nervous chuckle and closed her textbook slowly. She allowed for Ciara to drag her towards their destination and looked at her nervously.

"Hey, um, Ciara? Is that your real hair color?" She asked as she noticed the bright roots that seemed to be growing out. She then gulped and said, "I mean, are you a blonde? It's really bright."