> XXIV <

Mia looked over to the side, to the empty seat next to her, as the bell rung: signaling the end of third period and the transition to Lunch.

It was empty. Michael was absent.

Mia scowled as she shook her head and stacked her papers.

"Hey, at least you didn't talk with that nerd today. Right?" Raysel Matos, one of the students in her class, had asked as he passed by her with a smile.

"Thank God." She muttered as she rolled her eyes and closed her English folder. Raysel smiled, ecstatic that Mia spoke back. He continued to walk while some of his buddies patted his back in amusement.

However, Mia felt as if that had been too harsh of an answer—

No. She cut herself off. We need to remember how that ass made us pay twice — and he didn't even warn me!

"Mia, come here for a moment." Mr. Lowe said as he stacked the papers that he had handed out for them to finish. They were going to start to read books soon.

Mia stood up in reluctance, then walked over to him. Some students waved at her, but she ignored them. She didn't feel like waving back at anybody.

"Yes?" She had asked him with a raised eyebrow as she held her folder against her chest. "I did my assignment, just like you wanted me to. And I handed it in before class finished — just like you said to."

Mr. Lowe slightly tilted his head and gave Mia a flat look. He folded his hands together and slowly let out, "Where is your partner?"

She physically flinched at the word. "I don't know where that low-life is. Why are you asking me?" Then, in a more incredulous tone, added, "It's not like I'm his girlfriend, or anything."

Mr. Lowe untangled his hands and slightly brought them up in defense. "I didn't imply that idea, Mia. It was a simple question." He then looked up at her. "Have you two chosen a topic? Or have you even started the project?"

"Yes, we have." She answered him, then she desperately let out, "Now, can I please leave?"

He looked at her for a small moment before nodding his head. "You are dismissed."

"Thank God." She muttered as she quickly turned around and walked out of the classroom. Now, all she had to do was drop her folder off at her locker, then head over to lunch. Where Stacey was at.

Not that idiot who hung out with that brat.

In a quick moment, Mia felt a hand clamp around her wrist. She was pulled into the janitor's closet and before she could freak out from this sudden movement, the light was turned on and she made direct contact with Michael's blue eyes.

"Don't worry, I made sure nobody saw you." He said in an almost mocking tone.

She narrowed her eyes at him and clenched her jaw. "What gives you the right to pull me in here? Without my consent?"

"Don't act like I have the wrong in this." He hushed out in an incredulous tone. "Why are you going to my house after everything? What makes you think I want you there anymore?"