Chapter 40

*LOUIS' POV*

After I had gotten Kathryn's gift, I went on to get Jessica's, knowing that Kathryn would rather not be dragged along to get her something.

I didn't want to spend too long getting her a gift, considering that she didn't even like the one I got her last year.

So I soon decided to get her a gold locket. It was 20 pounds, and I didn't know if it was real gold or not, but I also didn't give a shit.

I called Kathryn then, waiting on a bench outside of one of the stores.

She didn't pick up.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I received a text from her.

*Getting one last gift, hold on*

*For who?* I questioned.

*Harry. I'll explain later.*

I scoffed in disapproval of her response.

Why would she get Harry a Christmas present? Since when has he been there enough for her to want to spend her money on him?

*I'm outside waiting. Get him a gift card, he's not worthy of a thoughtful gift from you.*

If she had gotten him anything that was heart felt that would give him the wrong idea, and he would think she liked him. Basically, then she would be fucked.

I watched her leave the store we were in before with 2 shopping bags. So she didn't buy anyone anything big, good.

"Did you get everything?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Did you?"

"Yeah." I replied, "We still have 15 minutes until we leave for your therapy. Do you wanna get lunch?"

She nodded, and we headed to the nearest fast food restaurant, which was a soup place.

"Why are you getting Harry a Christmas present?" I asked her as we waited in line.

She rolled her eyes,
"Because he's my friend. He still talks to me, and he's nice to me. So why shouldn't I get him something?"

"He's an asshole." I reminded her.

"Not to me." She responded, "Don't worry, I got him a Amazon gift card though. I have no clue what he's into."

"He's into sex, being an ass, tricking girls into having sex, being an ass to girls to get them to have sex with him,"

"Yeah I get it Louis." She laughed, "It's not like I fancy him or anything."

"You better not." I scolded her, "You deserve someone way better than him."

Her face flushed a little, as she looked to the ground.
She was cute when she was embarrassed.
In the most friendly, puppy-like way possible.

"Sir, next in line please."

"Oh, right, sorry." I mumbled, dragging Kathryn up with me.

She immediately snapped her head up as I grabbed her arm, and she locked eyes with the cashier unexpectedly.

"What would you like today?" He asked her, continuing to stare.

"I would like the small tomato soup with the turkey olive sandwich." I spoke loudly, in attempt to snap Kathryn out of whatever phase she was in.

It didn't work.

"And she'll have the same." I continued, looking directly at her,
"Two fountain drinks."

She looked past the man then, and gave a small nod.

I held out 14 pounds, waving it in the cashier's face.

"My apologies, sir. I got a little distracted." He said, taking the cash from my hand.

"Yeah I could see that." I replied, rolling my eyes.

He didn't say anything, and he gave a small smile to Kathryn as he put the money in the cash register.

"What drinks?"

"Diet coke." Kathryn told me.

"Diet coke and sweet tea." I told him.

"Your order is number 17. I'll have it brought to your table." He handed the receipt to Kathryn, winking at her then.
I pulled her away, finding us a table as far away from the cash register as possible.

"Can you believe that guy?" I complained, "He didn't even give me my change."

"I thought he was kinda cute." She muttered.

I laughed, much too loudly than I should've.
People were now staring at us.

"Are you kidding?" I questioned, "I can tell he's bad news by just looking at him."

"I just said he was kinda cute, Louis." She argued, "I just think it's sweet how he got lost in thought by looking at me. It's not like I'm gonna fuck him now."

"What, do guys never look at you? Are you not used to that?" I questioned her,
"I see guys looking at you all the time. You're just too clueless to notice."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It gets annoying sometimes." I rolled my eyes, as I crossed my arms.

She didn't say anything for a while.

The cashier soon showed up.

"Two tomato soups and two turkey olive sandwiches." He said, handing us our meals.

He left right after, immediately.

There was a yellow sticky note on top of Kathryn's styrofoam soup cup.

"Don't tell me that's his number," I began.

She didn't say anything as she read the note.

I reached across the table and snatched it from her view.

I think you're especially beautiful.
It would be brilliant if you could call me sometime.
xxx
-Michael (The cashier)
918-345-556

I scoffed as I pushed it back to her.
"You aren't falling for that are you?"

She shook her head.
"I'm not really that interested in being in a relationship."

"You aren't?" I questioned.

She shrugged her shoulders,
"Find me the right guy and maybe, but that's not him."

"Fair enough." I agreed.

She stuck the sticky note under the table, where our shopping bags were.

I secretly hoped that she didn't slip it into her bag.

I then told her about what my family would be doing for Christmas, and how I was to be leaving next week as we ate our meals.

She told me how her family used to spend Christmas, and how her dad used to stay up all night to put fake snow in the front yard if it wasn't snowing already. She told me how he used to be the best present-giver, and how his presents were always over-the-top. She told me how when he died, they barely even celebrated Christmas, and her mother left to her one of her friends' house most of the time. She and Olivia would spend Christmas alone, and they would open their mother's gift to them without her even there.
And no matter how much I urged her to spend Christmas with me, Jessica and my family, she refused.

{soz I took forever to update again. I had to come up with the actual conflict in this chapter. And also the number in this chapter is fake obviously. K bye ily}