Chapter 2

When I got to school, my first class had already started, so I headed off to English, then Maths, then Science, and lastly music appreciation. I was majoring in liberal studies. I wanted to be an primary school teacher. I sat next to a girl who I had never seen in this class before. She seemed a little surprised that I had sat next to her, she also seemed a little bothered by me. I didn't care. "Hi." I said to her. She didn't reply. She just kept doing whatever she was doing in her notebook. "I said hi," I repeated.
"You're talking to me?" She asked, finally looking up. She had long, messy light brown hair that cascaded to her rib cage. She wore a red knitted jumper with a cream colored scarf, and black leggings. "I'm talking to you," I told her, a smile appearing on my lips.
"Hello." She simply said. Then she continued her work in the notebook. "What are you doing?" I asked her. She looked up slightly and replied with, "Drawing."
"Oh, can I see?" I asked her.
"No," she said pulling her notebook closer to her.
"Why not?" I questioned.
"I don't even know you." I looked up and saw that students were starting to fill the room. I looked at my phone and saw that it was now time for class. Mr. Worgan, the music appreciation professor, started to teach. "What's your name?" I asked the girl next to me. "Why do you care?"
"Why are you so difficult to talk to?"
She rolled her eyes, "Pay attention." She whispered.
I did what she said, and listened to Mr. Worgan. "You will go to a concert with your partner. It doesn't matter what concert, or what genre, as long as you do the work it's fine." Mr. Worgan explained, "And remember it's either an essay or a PowerPoint. Any questions?"
"Will you be choosing our partners?" A man on the other side of the room asked.
"You choose your own partners for this assignment. Anyone without a partner, come and see me." Mr. Worgan told us. Then he nodded, dismissing us all to choose our partners. I looked at the stranger next to me and saw her again, drawing. "Do you wanna be my partner?" I asked her. She looked up at me with a confused expression on her face.
"Me?" She questioned.
"Yes, you." She looked bewildered at my proposal. It was like she wasn't used to casual conversation.
"No." she said looking back at her notebook.
"What? Why?" I asked her.
"I don't even know you." She said, "And you're really annoying."
"You don't know me well enough to know that."
"Yep." She said, still drawing in her notebook.
"You know what's annoying?" I started, "You won't even tell me your name." She rolled her eyes, "Fine." She looked at me, giving up on my stubborn attitude.
"What?" I questioned.
"I'll be your partner." She told me.
"Good! That means I need your number so we can meet up."
"I don't want to give you my number," She stated.
"That's too bad. If you want a good grade on this project, I'm gonna need your number." I said in a sarcastic tone. She sighed and took my phone from my hands. She put in her number and gave it back to me. She put her contact name as 'Kathryn'. "Ah so your name's Kathryn?" I asked her.
"Yeah." she said nodding.
"Well nice to meet you Kathryn, I'm Louis." She nodded again and looked away to her notebook. I tried to peek over her shoulder to see her drawing, but she kept covering it up. Mr.Worgan dismissed us after minutes of attempting to get a peek at Kathryn's drawings. She immediately got up and started to walk away. "Wait hold on, Kathryn!" I called after her.
She stopped, rolling her eyes at me as I caught up with her.
"When are we gonna meet up for this assignment?" I asked her.
"Uh I don't know just text me. I have to go." she replied, quickly walking away. I tried to go after her, but she disappeared in the hallway.