Chapter 53

*Kathryn's POV*
I called Louis as soon as my shift ended and he answered with a soft hello.
"Are you alright?" I asked him, "You sound different."
"No- yeah, I'm fine. I'll... I'll be there to pick you up." And then he hung up on me.
I sighed as I folded my arms, trying to warm up in the freezing cold weather. I was stood under a flickering yellow street light, desperately waiting for Louis. There was some melting snow around me, and the only bright side was that it wasn't currently snowing. After a couple of minutes, Louis' car stopped in front of me.
I ran up to it and got in. Thankfully it was very warm in his car.
"How did the homework go?" I asked him.
There was no response.
"Hello? Louis?"
"Oh, sorry?" He questioned.
"How did the homework go?" I repeated.
"F-fine, I guess." He answered, "How... was work?"
"Same as always." I replied.
He nodded awkwardly, which caused me to sigh.
"Are you sure you're okay, Lou? You're acting weird."
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just... doing a lot of thinking." He answered.
"About...?"
"I'll- I'll tell you when we get home." He answered. For some reason, he looked scared. I was simply confused.
I looked out the window as silence filled the air. I glanced over at Louis to find him looking at me, and his breath hitched in response.
He was so cute.
Once we got home, I looked to him. I was expecting him to tell me what was wrong but he just avoided my gaze and mumbled something about taking a shower.
"Wait- Louis!" I went after him to his room and he was sat on his bed.
"You can tell me anything, remember?"

"No... I can't." He answered.
"Yeah you can." I smiled at him, assuring him that it was okay.
He nodded and mumbled something quietly.
"Hm?"
"I like you, okay?"

I could feel my heart squeeze. I was sure I heard him wrong.
"You what?"
"I like you."

"You like me?"
"Jesus Christ Kathryn, I don't wanna have to say it again." He muttered, as if he was ashamed of it.
"You don't like me.." I began.

I was sure I liked him as well, but I wasn't ready to admit it to myself. I wasn't ready to get into a relationship or anything, I was terrified.

"I do, Kathryn. Okay? I'm sorry if you don't like hearing that but I do."
He paused, waiting for me to respond. When I didn't, he continued speaking.
"I like the way you laugh and smile, I like how you try to be so nice to everyone, I like how strong you are, and I like the way you talk. You're amazing."

Suddenly, I felt tears running down my cheeks.
Why was this happening?

"Wh-what's wrong?!" He spoke, "You don't feel the same way?"

"Louis- I- I don't know." I replied, "I'm not- not sure how I feel about this..."

"It's okay if you don't feel the same way-"
"It's not that." I sniffed, interrupting him.
Why did he have to ruin everything?

"Why are you crying?" He asked.
"I just..."
"You just what, Kathryn?" He looked deeply into my eyes, as if he was trying to figure me out.
"You're ruining everything."
"What?"

"Our friendship is so great Louis." I spoke.

"I'm sorry." He answered, "I never should've said anything."
He said down next to me, wiping his eyes.

He walked past me in silence with his pajamas in hand, leaving to take his shower.

I stared at his bedroom wall, not knowing what to do.
Without thinking, I grabbed my phone and bolted out the front door.
I began to walk out in the pitch black. I didn't know where I was going, I just wanted to go somewhere to think.