Chapter 5

For the rest of the day, I stayed home alone. I was kind of in a bad mood because of Kathryn, but I distracted myself with FIFA 4. Jessica was supposed to be back by 4:30, and it was 5. So I called her. "Jessica." I said into the phone. "Louis I'm fine. Why are you calling me?" Jessica asked me, "It's so much fun! You totally should have come!"
"What are you talking about? Where are you?" I questioned.
"Oh I wasn't talking to you Louis." Jessica said, she gave an over exaggerated laugh, "Why are you calling me?" I heard music and lots of talking in the background. Then I heard Jessica scream in delight, which she hardly ever does. "Jessica!" I yelled through the phone.
"What!" She yelled back.
"Where are you?" I asked her yet again, "Are you drunk?"
"Lou, of coarse I'm drunk baby." She replied with a laugh, "I miss you. Where did you go? Weren't you just here?"
"No I was never there, but if you tell me where you are then I can go." I told her.
"Louis why are you talking to me?"Jessica said, and then the line went dead.
I knew I shouldn't worry about it too much, but it just bothered me that she went clubbing so often. I knew if I'd pressure her any more, she would yell at me like she usually did. I just decided to stay home and try to not worry about Jessica.
***

I was surprised when I saw Kathryn's name light up on my phone screen.
"Hello."
"Hey Louis, uh I just wanted to say-" Kathryn started, "Sorry about what I said earlier with you being annoying and stuff."
"Don't worry about it Kathryn." I told her, "It's just friendly bickering."
"Sure Louis."
She didn't say anything, and I realized she was probably going to hang up.
"Wait! Kathryn!" I yelled into the phone.
"What do you want?"
"Are we friends now?" I asked her.
There was a long pause before she answered, "I guess."
"Prove it."
"What are you -"
"Why don't you come back to my flat so we can hang out, friend." I interrupted her.
"I don't know if -"
"Oh come on Kathryn don't leave me all alone." I interrupted her, again.
"Why are you alone? And why are you -"
"Alright so I'll see you soon Kathryn." I said hanging up.

.
.
.
.
.
.

Soon enough, Kathryn showed up at my door.
"So why exactly did you tell me to come over? Isn't your girlfriend enough company for you?" Kathryn questioned.
"Not tonight, because she's not here." I replied, going over to the living room.
"Where is she then?" Kathryn asked.
"I don't know. She's at a club somewhere." I answered. I sat down on one of my cheap couches and she followed.
"Okay, so why did you invite me over?" I shrugged and said, "It's lonely without Jessica, and so why not invite my new friend?" I looked down at the floor and then up at Kathryn. "Yeah. Well, I'm still not so sure about this whole friend thing," She started to say.
"Why don't you want any friends?" I questioned.
Kathryn crossed her arms, looking to the ground, "Let's just say that everyone I ever trusted left me because of one stupid mistake."
"It must have been bad." I commented.
"It wasn't even my fault. I mean, it kinda was but -" She then paused and looked at me, "Why am I telling you this; let's talk about something else."
"No, finish." I said leaning back on the couch, "I'm listening."
"Hey you have FIFA 4 let's play that." Kathryn said picking up the case.
"Sure." I said turning on the telly, I could see that she didn't want to talk about it. I turned on the PlayStation, the disc was already in so we started playing. "That's cool how you like FIFA, not many girls care for it." I told her.
"Yeah I know." She started, "Your girlfriend doesn't like it, huh."
"Nope. She thinks it's all a waste of time." I responded, "But it's not!" Kathryn laughed at my sudden outburst, "Ok then."
"I've never seen you laugh, let alone smile before." I smiled at her, pleased at how comfortable and nice she was acting already. She just rolled her eyes, "Let's just get to the game."

***

"Hey no - what the hell!" Kathryn yelled at me as I stole the ball from her.
"What can I say, I'm a professional FIFA player." By the end, I had won. "That wasn't even fun." Kathryn said, throwing down her controller on the couch.
"You loved it." I insisted, "It's nice to play against someone who's easy to beat, all my friends are pretty good."
"You are such a bitch." Kathryn joked, smiling in my direction.
"And so are you, Kathryn." I replied. She didn't say anything else for a while. She just smiled at the ground. She brought her head up slowly and her eyes met mine. It stayed like this for a long time.
"Uh, well I better get going." Kathryn said, breaking away from my gaze.
"Yeah, we have classes tomorrow." I stated. She nodded and got up from the couch. She walked to the door, as I followed her. "I'll see you tomorrow Kathryn, we'll do this again sometime." I told her.
She nodded. We both said goodbye and she left my flat.