Chapter 1

Cami's POV:

I woke up at the sound of my mom telling me we had landed. I yawned and sleepily opened my eyes to see that the plane had, in fact, landed in the Sydney airport. I gaped as I saw how bright the sun was shining. When we'd left Washington DC a little over fifteen hours ago, it was pouring outside. I guessed the weather would be an improvement.

When my parents had announced that we were moving to Australia a few weeks ago, I had had mixed feelings about it. While Sam was more than excited to discover a new place and way of life, I was never one for big changes. As exciting as new beginnings were, I wasn't too happy to be leaving my old life behind, contrary to my older sister Jane, who had just gone through a bad break-up. Not that my life in the US was perfect, far from it, but I had a couple of good friends I knew I would miss. However, living in Sydney meant reuniting with Luke, my best friend of all time, who'd moved back there a year ago.

I gathered my stuff and followed my parents and siblings out of the plane. We went to get our suitcases and then walked to the exit, where people were waiting to greet their newly arrived friends. My eyes quickly scanned the crowd and my heart jumped to my throat as I spotted my best friend waiting for me in the crowd. Immediately I left my family's side and ran over to him.

"Hey," I smiled widely as the blond boy pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Cami," Luke breathed. "I missed you so much, you have no idea."

"I think I do," I grinned. "It's good to have you back."

"Same goes for you. Oh my god, we have so many things to talk about," he gushed.

"Yeah, can we start with your height? What the hell happened to the little kid I knew? Since when are you a giraffe?" I exclaimed teasingly.

"I had a growth spurt around a year ago."

"A 'growth spurt'?" I quoted him. "Glad to see some things never change, mister nerd."

"Glad to see you're still a jackass!"

"You know me," I winked, and he laughed.

"Where are your parents? And Jane and Sam? I haven't talked to them in forever."

I lead him back through the crowd to my family. It was an explosion of joy as my parents greeted the boy who had once been like a second son to them. Sam being only one year younger than me, the two of them had always been good friends too and had shared countless tense gaming nights while I just watched, stuffing my face with popcorn (sugary of course, and no judging please). Jane and Luke had never been close, but they were on good terms, so they hugged briefly and exchanged a few polite words.

Luke had taken a cab to the airport, so he just hitched a ride back with us. We were gonna live in a house only a few streets from his, which meant a lot of sleepovers to look forward to. Luke, Sam and I explored the house together while my parents and Jane took care of the luggage. It was big but not huge, with two floors and a nice garden. I was the first one to claim my bedroom. It was on the upper floor and could only be accessed to by a small corridor behind a door, which separated it from the rest of the house and gave me the taste of independency I so desperately craved. Luke immediately agreed with my choice, saying it'd be very practical for sleepovers.

"We won't need to move at all!" He exclaimed. "There's a bathroom right here," he indicated, pointing at a blue door that I hadn't noticed. "And we can just transform this area," he pointed at a part of the room, "into a mini-kitchen."

I huffed. Leave it to Luke to think of the food. He was right though.

"And I can put all my clothes here!" I said, discovering the shelves behind the gliding doors of the corridor. "This is such a smart dressing room."

"This is just like a small apartment all for yourself," Luke grinned. "I'm so jealous."

"Aww poor babe. I still need to update my parents on how this is my bedroom though," I suddenly remembered and ran downstairs to tell them.

They agreed (I didn't really give them any choice), and I proceeded to start unpacking my stuff and installing it in my newfound bedroom. Our furniture had already arrived a few days ago, and Luke helped me move in. The rest of my family did the same, my brother having claimed the other bedroom on the second floor while my parents had the master bedroom downstairs and my sister had the small bedroom next to it. She wouldn't really live there anyway since she went to university and would stay at the dorm.

After I'd installed most of my stuff, I made Luke tell me more about the school.

"It's pretty cool, but you know, same as everywhere, there's a huge gap between the normal people and the 'popular' fuckheads..."

I rose my eyebrows at the violent not-typical-of-Luke term he employed.

"Thinking of someone in particular?"

"Nah...yes. Sorry, it's just I'm so fucking pissed at some of the jocks at the moment."

"Why? What happened?"

"I don't even know, a girl's heart broken here, a few insults thrown there, the next thing you know I'm getting beat up by a gang of crazy fuckers."

"What? How do I not know about this? How did you not tell me this before?"

He shrugged.

"I forgot..."

I narrowed my eyes at him and he quickly amended himself.

"I just didn't wanna worry you. It's nothing big, a teacher stepped in before it got too violent, but I'm just pissed at the lot of them."

"I'm sorry... Who's the girl?"

Luke blushed lightly and looked away.

"Lukey... Is there something you aren't telling me? Are you having a small crush that you haven't told me about?" I said in a sugar-sweet voice.

"No...yes...I don't know... We're just friends, but yeah...she's cute. Anyway one of these guys made her believe they could actually have something, enough for her to give up her virginity for him... He broke it off the next morning. And as if that wasn't enough, he mocked her and called her names for being so gullible. That's how the whole thing started I guess, I got really pissed at Michael and his friends, and it turned into a hatred thing."

"Michael?"

"Yeah, that's the cheating son of a bitch who broke Rebecca's heart."

"Ugh, I hate those types... I wish there was some way I could help."

Luke was about to shake his head when something suddenly lighted in his eyes.

"What? What is it?"

"Well, there's actually something you could do..."

"What? Anything, I'll do it."

"Well, you know how these guys are always the ones taking advantage of girls and breaking their hearts... How about they got their heart broken instead?"

"What are you thinking of?" I asked, but could already feel a smile form at my lips as I understood what he was implying.

I loved a challenge. And breaking a heartbreaker's heart? Well, that was interesting...

---------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! This is sort of an introductory chapter ^^

Tell me what you think of the characters so far! I really appreciate comments and read every single one of them!

Oh, and since i don't have the 'first fanfic' excuse anymore, if this sucks we'll just blame it on the fact that i'm a Luke girl, aye?

Much love,

Othilia xx