Chapter 6

Cami's POV:

I'd just started answering Lilah's pressing questions about what had happened in English class for Calum to flirt with me when I felt a pen poke my back. Having a very good idea of who it was, I squeezed my eyes shut, took a deep breath and finally turned around.

"What?"

"So, about that English project...the book we chose was what, Pride and Presumptions?"

"Pride and Prejudice," I corrected, mentally face-palming at his lack of knowledge.

"Yeah, that. I was thinking, how about you just run me through the story? Cause like, me and books are not very good friends."

Why wasn't I surprised?

"Grammar and you either, apparently," Lilah pointed out.

"What?"

"You say 'books and me' not 'me and books'."

Calum looked at her weirdly for a moment before turning his gaze back to me.

"So?"

"No," I said shortly.

"Then I don't have to come to English class."

"What?"

"As long as I don't know the story, I can't help you. And I sure as hell am not buying that shit."

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. It might be my plan to make him fall for me, and he might be my dream come true in terms of looks (which he seemed to be very aware of), but he got on my nerves like no one else.

"You're really fucking annoying," I smiled brightly.

"So I've been told," he replied in the same tone.

We held each other's eyes, the challenge clear. The intensity in his dark eyes quickly built up as I refused to look away, the heat in them making me swallow hard. Wow. I might just be up against something too strong for me. Just then, his gaze dropped to my shirt (guys...) and his mouth fell open.

"Do you know what this is?" He asked, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

"Excuse me. I don't wear band shirts when I don't listen to the band. That's like, blasphemy."

"You listen to Sleeping With Sirens!"

His face was a mixture of disbelief, amazement and a kind of happiness I associated with deep internal fangirling. Apparently I'd scored a point here. Yay.

"Of course I do!"

"Oh my god did you hear their new album?"

"It's on repeat," I grinned. "Oh, my heart..."

We started talking about how the sound had changed since the new guitarist's arrival when the bell rang. Flashing a smile at Calum, I turned back around and packed my stuff before leaving the classroom with Lilah.

Maybe he wasn't all bad. Of course, it was only one band but...who would've thought someone like Calum had good music taste?

"I hate Math. I really fucking hate it," I declared as I made my way to the nearby ice-booth along with Luke and Louisa after school.

Louisa whooped, giving me a high-five, while Luke just scoffed.

"You do know my mom's a Math teacher, right?"

"Um, of course I don't. I've only been your best friend since forever."

"Keep the sass coming!" Louisa hollered.