Chapter 2

Cami's POV:

The next morning, my mom dropped me off to school on her way to work. I walked a little hesitantly to the gates, trying not to look too lost while at the same time frantically looking for Luke. He'd told me he was already there, but he was nowhere to see. While I waited for him to magically appear to my eyes, I examined the people around me. I watched as group of friends ran towards each other, happy to be reunited after the summer break. Or was it winter? I was so confused with the seasons here. Anyway, nobody really caught my eye, it was mostly guys high-fiving and giving each other friendly pats on the back and girls squealing as they hugged the life of each other. I felt a pang as I thought of Veronica and Emily, my two girl besties I'd left behind. We were exactly the type to embarrass ourselves with excessive demonstrations of affection. I figured I'd have to find myself girl friends here too, because as much as I loved Luke, they were absolutely necessary when it came to gossip or advice on clothing and boys. Plus girls' night was the single most amazing thing ever. Hopefully I'd be able to integrate myself in Luke's group of friends, which seemed to include at least Rebecca.

"Cami baby!" Luke yelled in my ear, making me jump.

"Dude!" I complained.

"Not sorry," he said, grinning widely. "Come on, we have a little time before class starts, I'll show you around the school."

It turned out the school was pretty small compared to the one I used to go to. There was one building for classrooms, one for the cafeteria and the library, a gymnasium and a small park where we could lay and eat our lunch when it was warm (so always). I liked it.

The first bell rang and Luke and I hurried to class. I'd gotten my timetable off the internet a few days earlier, and we shared most of our classes. First hour was maths, and I mentally groaned when the teacher entered. He looked as boring as the subject he taught. It was hard enough to stay awake on Monday mornings, I didn't need further encouragement to fall asleep in class.

Thank god Luke entertained me as he pointed out the different people in the room, giving me some background information on each one of them. So I learned that Sophie, the strawberry blonde girl with the perfect hourglass body, was known for being a major bitch and making a habit of sucking guys off in the bathroom. Yikes. James, a quite good-looking brunet, was captain of the soccer team and often threw gigantic, amazing parties. The quiet Anabelle aced her every class and spent all her time reading books in the library, but she was really nice and never refused to explain a lesson to you. Next to her was Lilah, who was a good friend of Rebecca's and with whom Luke had hung out with a few times, even if she wasn't part of his immediate circle of friends. Luke grimaced in distaste as he told me that Eric, the athletic blond sitting at the back of the room, was a major asshole who also happened to be Michael's friend.

"Is that the one whose heart you want me to break?" I asked dubiously as I looked him over.

It's not that I didn't want to go through with the plan Luke and I had come up with yesterday, but James really wasn't my type. I'd somehow hoped that my victim would be hot, so that I the whole thing would also be enjoyable to me on another level...

Luke shrugged.

"If you want. You take your pick from the group; I'll show you the rest of them later. Though I was kind of hoping you'd go for Michael's best friend."

"Why not Michael himself?"

"Because one, wouldn't that be horrible to Rebecca? And two, he's a year above so it'd be less easy to approach him," Luke reasoned.

I nodded, agreeing with him on the first part. As for accessibility, from what I knew from the popular crowd at home, they were pretty inaccessible anyway, so...