Chapter 42

Calum's POV:

My head was killing me. I let out a plaintive noise and immediately there was shuffling around me.

"He's awake!" I heard a hushed whisper, and someone gasped.

I furrowed my brows and slightly opened an eye, whimpering as the light blinded me and squeezing it shut again. Where was I? I racked my brain for the last thing I remembered and I could vaguely see headlights blinding me. A slam on the side of my bike. A crash. Fuck! I'd had an accident! My eyes flew open and I stared right up to my mom's worried face.

"Calum!" She exclaimed and almost pulled me into a hug, but someone held her back.

"Don't suffocate him!" Mali yelled.

My eyes shot from one to the other, and behind them to see a pale Mike meeting my gaze, his jaw clenched in a way that made me think he'd really been eaten up by worry. So did the glistening trails of tears on his cheeks. A quick glance at my mom and sister's face told me that they had cried too. Somehow I couldn't help myself as I threw another sweeping glance around the room, desperately looking for something that was missing. I didn't know what I'd expected, but my heart deflated further as I came up empty. Of course she wouldn't be there. I sensed Mike's gaze on me and his sorrowful eyes told me he knew. And he was sorry. I gulped and detached my gaze to look at my family.

"I'm sorry your dad isn't here," my mom said, having apparently noticed me looking around, and misunderstanding because how could she possibly know any better? "His work didn't allow him to leave Scotland. I promised to call as soon as you woke up."

"What happened?" I croaked out, not acknowledging her words.

"You were hit by a car," my mom said in a wobbly tone. "They had to operate but you'd lost so much blood they didn't know when you'd wake up."

I swallowed and looked down at myself for the first time. My one leg was in a cast, and I had a bandage around my middle. They must have shot some serious quantity of morphine for me not to feel anything. My head still hurt some though, and I sighed heavily.

"Do you wanna make that call to dad then?" I asked my mom.

She nodded and quickly pressed a kiss on my forehead before leaving the room. Mali bit her lip anxiously.

"Do you need anything? The doctors said you could eat something if you wanted."

"Hospital food? Ew no thank you," I joked, trying to lighten up the mood. "No but seriously if you could get me something to drink that would be great."

She left and I let out a breath of relief. There was just too much tension in the room, and I wasn't used to any of my family members being affectionate. Mike on the other hand...the second Mali left the room, he rushed towards me and hugged me, carefully for once.

"For fuck's sake Cal you killed us," he whispered.

"I'm fine," I defended myself.

"But you could not have been."

"I'm fine now and it's all that matters."

Well, sorta. According to the crushing feeling in my stomach, the fact that Cami was absent fucking hurt. Which was completely stupid, as I knew she had never liked me, but even after several weeks it seemed wrong that she wouldn't care. That she wouldn't be worried at all. I swallowed harshly and Mike hesitated.

"Um, so you know Grace came by at the hospital, she's waiting outside the room. A couple of the jocks too, but I made them fuck off...figured you wouldn't want them there."