Chapter 15

Cami's POV:

The next day, I shrugged off Luke's questions about the meet-up, since nothing interesting had actually happened. Instead, I grilled him about his feelings for Rebecca and Lilah, which ended in him smacking my arm and me ignoring him for the rest of the period.

At lunch, we met up with Ethan and Jeremy, since the other girls were running late. I glumly picked at my food, thinking of the dreaded sports class coming after this. Last week the teacher had been absent, so I'd been able to escape the torture, but it seemed like it wouldn't be the case today.

"Come on, it's not that bad," Ethan said encouragingly. "You'll survive."

"Yeah, it's pretty fun," Jeremy agreed. "Apparently we're doing football this semester."

"You do football here?" I asked, surprised. "But that's like, super dangerous!"

"What?"

"When people have to wear helmets and protections all over their body, the sport qualifies as dangerous in my book," I retorted, seeing Jeremy's dubious expression.

"You don't wear helmets in football."

"Yes, you do."

Luke sighed.

"Cami, we're talking soccer, not football."

"Soccer? Then why were you calling it football, idiots? You know I'm American."

"Because literally everyone else in the world calls it football."

"And it's played with your feet, contrary to your football," Jeremy added. "Wake up America, you're wrong."

I huffed indignantly.

"America is never wrong."

They all looked at me in something like amused pity, and I scowled. Damn, I was outnumbered.

"Anyway," Ethan said, "the coach's real nice. He oversees the school's soccer team too, and they're crazy good."

"Is he gonna expect miracles from us?" I asked. "Because I'm happy to comply in every other subject, but sports is like, no. This body is not meant to do any sports," I said, pointing at myself.

"Really?" Ethan mocked me. "Because that was some pretty good dancing the other night..."

"I was drunk, it's not the same," I argued.

"True!" Luke laughed. "She becomes a different person when she's drunk."

"No, I become my inner self!"

"So your inner self is a perverted dance goddess?" Luke asked, grinning at me.

"Yup!" I stuck out my tongue. "Sue me."

Luke faked a shudder.

"Never! You'd probably seduce the judge into winning the case, then marry him and take all his money before dumping him."

"Wow. You really have got my personality down."

"I wouldn't be a good best friend if I didn't," he answered with a wink.

"Whatever. I'm still worried about this football slash soccer thing. I don't even know the rules."

Jeremy, obviously a fan of the sport, started enumerating all the rules and exceptions and facts and God-knows-what until he saw my flabbergasted expression and stopped his rambling.

"I'm sorry," I said, " but I didn't get a word of that."

"Basically," Ethan told me with great patience, "there's two teams who fight for the ball and try to put it in the nets of the other team. No touching the ball with hands."