Chapter 39

Cami's POV:

"Luke you're being stupid!" I whisper-yelled at the boy.

He was goofily trying to imitate our Biology teacher and pulling faces at me, very much not doing the exercises we had been assigned. Ever since I had broken up with Calum (even though only Lilah and Luke knew the details), all of my friends had made an extra effort to lighten me up, either by being thoughtful and affectionate or, as it was the case right now, acting completely foolish. I finally let myself laugh at his ridiculous antics, before seeing the teacher walking towards us from the corner of my eye and hushing my best friend hurriedly. He shut up and mustered an innocent-looking smile as she stopped by our desks, demanding to see what we'd been doing in all this time. He fluttered his eyelashes at her and sighed sadly, pulling the puppy-dog eyes and pout. Wow, he was really going for it.

"I don't understand the third question..."

All her annoyance melted away and she smiled at him, won over by his cuteness. As she started explaining what he 'hadn't understood', I found myself needing a break. All this geology was boring me to no end, and since I hadn't done my make-up correctly this morning (my alarm was late, long story), it would be a good time to hit the bathrooms.

"Excuse me, may I go to the toilets?"

The teacher emerged from her fascinating discussion with Luke, who was just blinking and smiling angelically at her as she rattled on, and nodded at me. I scoffed at my best friend as I left the classroom. It was almost scary how he had all the teachers wrapped around his finger.

The corridors were clear of people, and I barged into the bathrrom without checking to see if it was empty. There was a sound of someone falling to the ground and I looked up, half-expecting to see a random girl crying on the floor. Maybe we could do it together, I thought not so ironically. But what I saw was so much worse.

My heart dropped to the floor and shattered into a thousand glassy pieces as Calum's mouth fell open. The blonde chick vainly tried to cover herself up as she stood up from where Calum had probably let her fall in shock. I ignored them both and went over to the sink, feeling oh-so-empty as I stared at my reflection, pretending to touch up my make-up.

I ignored them as Calum shuffled from foot to foot, trying to form words and failing. I ignored them as the girl giggled an awkward apology. I ignored them as she kissed Calum's cheek 'goodbye' and 'see you later'. I ignored them as he didn't answer her affective gesture, his gaze fixed on me and all trace of color having left his face. I ignored them as she stalked out of the bathroom, the clicking of her high-heels haunting me as she disappeared down the hallway.

I put my make-up stuff away, satisfied with the way the winged eyeliner made the blue of my eyes pop out. I slightly ruffled my hair and steeled myself for what was about to happen before turning on my heels, facing the boy of both my dreams and nightmares. I forced a small cold smile on my face.

"Hello, Calum," I said in a conversational tone. "Were you ever told these bathrooms were for girls?"

His jaw tightened and his eyes flashed, as it finally seemed to register what was going on. The girl who had made him fall in love with her and then walked out on him had just caught him making out with someone else and was acting like it was nothing. The transformation was immediate. Within seconds, he went from slightly lost-looking and embarrassed to absolutely furious.

"What the fuck, Cami? Are you just gonna ignore everything now? You can't just stand there and say nothing!"

I raised my eyebrows, refusing to acknowledge his words.