Chapter 16

Calum's POV:

I was mad, and I didn't understand why. It bothered me that the sight of Cami being teased had put me in such a mood. I mean yeah, I got protective over people, but not people like her. Not the ones I'd planned to be have a quick fuck with and then be done with. I knew that I was more interested in Cami then I'd been in any of my 'victims' for a while now, but I'd never thought about it more than that. She was sexy and had a too-cool-for-you attitude going for her, and that's what had attracted me to her. Period. So why did I feel so fucking angry when I thought of how lost she'd seemed back there?

I found myself needing some time alone, and decided to ditch French. Plus, she'd be there and that was just a recipe for disaster. As I made my way to the park, I thought things over. What had happened today? First I'd planned to do a little flirting. She'd played along, like she often did, but then dumb blonde had intervened. I'd been angry when I saw her petting his head, because the purpose of this whole thing was to make him suffer and it wouldn't work if he got to her first. She'd made me laugh when I saw how awkward she was on the field, not to mention the way she defended the nets. So what if the technique was a bit faulty? It worked, and it was hilarious.

At this point I realized something I couldn't really deny anymore. I wasn't just attracted to her physically. I liked her as a person. She was funny, she was fiery, she was punk-rock. And she made me feel smart, or at least not completely worthless. During the whole project thing, she'd actually asked for my opinion. Me, the guy who never gets good grades, never touches his textbooks, never reads a novel.

But I had. I had read a book, and why? Because she'd asked me to. That only should have alarmed me earlier. It grossed me out to even think it, but I might actually be developing – shudder – feelings for this girl. Wow. I really needed to have sex with her, get it out of my system and go back to being normal-Calum again. A thought struck me then, and I froze. What if there were other things about her that I would really like? I'd be royally fucked. Shit. This needed to be over with as soon as possible.

With that in mind, I went to the parking and waited to catch her at the exit. Taking out my IPhone, I put my earphones in and cranked up the sound, enjoying how the music was almost too loud, but not really.

"Caraphernelia?" The sound of my best mate's voice startled me out of my daze and I lowered the volume.

"What's up with you and Pierce the Veil?" Mike asked me, wrinkling his nose. "Vic's voice is so annoying."

"Your voice is annoying."

"Right back at you love," he grinned. "So what are you doing here, splitting your ears in half?"

I frowned.

"That's a weird expression."

"Yeah yeah. Anyway, I wanted to tell you about something that happened yesterday."

As Mike explained his story, which was basically about how he bought this new video game, I let him lead me back to my motorcycle. I stroked the black leather of the seat absently while Mike detailed the different options of the game.

"That actually sounds amazing," I had to admit, still petting her.

"Yeah. You can just come by Friday and we'll play. Hey, isn't that your girl?"

I lifted my head, expecting to see Grace, but it was Cami who was determinedly making her way over the parking lot towards us. I shot Mike a confused look, but he just smiled a stood a few feet away, apparently interested in how the conversation would go.