Chapter 41

Cami's POV:

The sound of Bring Me the Horizon's Drown woke me up roughly. I scrounged up my nose, trying to find the source of the music blindly in the dark. Eventually my hand collided with my phone, and I stared at the screen. Unknown incoming call, it said. It also said 04:23 am. I'd only been asleep for two hours. What the hell? The only people I knew who'd call me that late were Louisa, Luke and Lilah (wow my friends were crazy) and I knew for a fact they were all home and sleeping the alcohol off soundly at the moment. Plus Lilah's family had invited Luke to spend the weekend away with them, so there was no way they were drunk-dialing me to join their movie-marathon or something. The phone started ringing again, and I remembered with dismay how Drown was Calum's favorite song. I sighed heavily and took the call.

"Hello?"

"Cami? Oh thank god!"

"Um, who is this?"

"It's Grace."

I blinked, a bad feeling starting to tug at me.

"What do you want?" I asked warily.

"It's Calum," she stated, and by her tone of voice I immediately knew something was wrong. "He was in an accident."

The next hour was a blur. I somehow managed to get Grace to tell me what hospital he was in and before I knew it a cab was taking me there. I hadn't even taken the time to warn my parents, I'd just left in the middle of the night. I'd just call them later. At the moment my nerves were eating me up and I had trouble comprehending what was going on. He'd been in an accident. He'd been taken to the emergency room. The doctors wouldn't say anything. He'd been in an accident. He'd been in an accident. He'd been in an accident. My breaths were shallow and my head spun as I threw some money to the cab driver and ran towards the hospital entrance. Some people looked at me weirdly as I raced towards the lobby but I didn't spare them a glance. My heart was lodged somewhere in my throat as I simply refused to consider the questions gnawing at me.

"Calum Hood?" My voice came out squeaky and frail.

The lady looked at me in disinterest.

"Are you a family member?"

My face paled. Weren't they gonna let me in? Let me know what was going on? I stared at the lady in horror. Didn't she understand? Didn't she understand that Calum, my Calum, my favorite dorky badboy, had been in an accident?

"Girlfriend, then?"

I almost laughed. Shook my head. She shrugged and waved towards one of the waiting rooms carelessly. I couldn't even see straight as I fought my trembling limbs and walked over to the place she'd pointed out. The thought that he might be seriously injured made me sick to my stomach. I bit my lip and dropped my head between my hands, images of Calum covered in blood flashing through my mind. He'd been found almost an hour after being hit by the car, Grace had said. He'd left the party early. The car had percutated him and then left. My arms were shaking. He'd lied in his own blood for an hour. For a whole hour until someone randomly drove by and called an ambulance. The bike – Betty – had been completely smashed. Nothing left. A sob raked through me, but I somehow managed to push it down. I couldn't. I couldn't cry right now. The worst part is that I wouldn't know. I wouldn't know if he was doing okay or if he was in surgery or if he was dead. The mere thought caused a whimper to escape my lips, and I grounded my teeth together. He couldn't be dead. He couldn't be dead. He wasn't allowed to be dead. He just...no. He couldn't be dead. But truth is I wouldn't know because I wasn't his anything. Not family, not girlfriend. I wasn't anything to him and if he died he would die with me as his nothing and the implosion of my world wouldn't be understood by anyone because I had no claim on him. But god knew my world still revolved around his smile.