Chapter 22

Cami's POV:

The rest of the week passed quickly, between English classes where Calum and I were just our usual crazy and overly sassy selves, lunch breaks with the girls where we talked teachers and prom and boys and life, and hangouts with Luke at his place or mine.

Today, we'd planed to go back to the video shop. We'd decided to meet in a nearby park, hoping somehow there would be some shade to allow me to live a few seconds longer. The heat was absolutely overbearing, and it was all I could not to pass out. As I waited for my friends to show up (Jeremy had decided to tag along), I bought some peach fro-yo and stuffed my mouth, enjoying how refreshing it felt. I just didn't understand Australia. How was it so warm at 6 in the evening?

The minute Luke arrived in the park, he ran to me with open arms.

"I've missed you Cami-bear!"

I winced.

"Don't call me that, you know I hate it."

"But I like it," Luke objected. "And I missed you."

"We literally saw each other in class two hours ago..."

"I know right? It's so long!"

He moved to hug me, but I stepped away hastily.

"Don't. I love you but please don't touch me, I'm way too hot for that."

"Wow. There were so many wrong things in that sentence," he snickered.

"Luke, I'm not in the mood," I replied flatly.

He raised his eyebrows, a playful smile at his lips, and I slapped his shoulder, rolling my eyes.

"You're not funny and you can't have missed me in only two hours. Get going, giraffe-boy."

"Hey! That's not a nice nickname!"

"No? Well you're tall and yellow, that's a giraffe no?"

"Yellow?" Luke asked with a grimace of horror. "It's called blond."

"Yes but it's yellow," I shrugged.

"Should I dye it black? Louisa said I should dye it black."

"You would look terrible with black hair."

"That's not true," he pouted.

"No it isn't," I agreed. "You would look pretty in everything."

"Pretty? My manhood is hurt!"

"What manhood?"

Jeremy interrupted our bickering by his sudden appearance at our side.

"Hello guys."

"Cami said I would look ugly with black hair," Luke complained to Jeremy. "Do you think I'd look ugly with black hair?"

"To be honest, I think you could pull off pretty much anything," Jeremy said truthfully.

"Are you calling me good-looking?" Luke asked his friend quizzically.

"You are. Not my type though, sorry."

"Yeah not mine either," I added.

"Great," Luke said, rolling his eyes.

"But you're very attractive anyway! To other people..."

Luke shook his head, grinning.

"You're such an idiot," he said.

I scoffed.