Chapter 44

AN: This chapter is a little bit completely inspired by Outer Space/Carry On BUT i can't find the original version on youtube so here's a nice piano cover. However if you wanna feel the whole thing i suggest you listen to it yourself at the same time (and if you haven't bought the album yet like?¿? what are you waiting for?!!?!)

Calum's POV:

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I was alone in the hospital room. With a yawn, I called for a nurse to give me some food. By some miracle my phone hadn't even gotten a scratch on it in the accident, so I picked it up from my nightstand and opted on watching some stupid YouTube videos while eating my (disgusting) breakfast. My mom interrupted Tyler Oakley midsentence as she called me and I huffed an annoyed breath before taking the call.

"Hey mom."

"Hey baby, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm good. Do you know when I'm let out?"

"You know the doctors said a week."

I groaned.

"Yeah but I'm feeling good. Why can't I just leave?"

"Because you're following the doctors' advice," my mom said tightly.

I sighed and let it go.

"So what are you doing?" She asked, her voice much nicer, and I couldn't help a scoff.

"It's quite funny how you suddenly seem to care about that when I get hurt. Maybe I should get into accidents more often, if it's the only way to get your attention."

The words came tumbling out of my mouth, low and bitter, before I could stop them, and I heard my mom take a sharp breath. With a roll of my eyes, I hung up. I didn't feel like owning up to what I'd said, but I wasn't in a mood to excuse myself. To be honest, I was still more than a bit upset about what had happened yesterday. Not only had I found out that Cami knew that I'd gotten into an accident and hadn't made a move to find out how I was, but Mike had left after getting a call from Luke. He'd told me he was getting a cup of coffee and then never came back, only sending me a text at around eleven pm about how he'd explain everything tomorrow.

Mike only arrived at around midday, an apologetic look in his eyes.

"Sorry, my mom wouldn't let me come visit any sooner."

"It's fine," I said shortly.

"So...about yesterday. I lied to you, you know, when Luke called and I said it was nothing."

"I know."

"Yeah."

"So what was it?" I insisted, annoyed with his stalling.

"He wanted me to look for Cami."

I felt like someone punched me in the chest and rid me of all the air in my lungs.

"What?"

"Basically he was out of town and he got a call from Cami's parents saying they hadn't seen her all day. And she wouldn't answer her phone, so he asked if I knew where she was. And when I told him you were in an accident, he wanted me to look for her in the hospital."

I let out a breathless laugh.

"That's ridiculous. There's no reason you would have found her here. She wasn't here. You didn't find her...did you?" I added hesitantly.

"I did."

"But...what? I don't understand. I thought she didn't care? She didn't come see me," I said almost frantically, trying to hold on to my sanity because this was getting so fucking complicated and I didn't want my hopes to get crushed again.