Chapter 32

Calum's POV:

I furrowed my eyebrows as I got confused in the chords again. Sighing a bit, I tried again. I'd been hellbent on learning If it means a lot to you for at least two weeks now and I was finally getting it right. Shutting my eyes in concentration, I started the song from the beginning again, singing along for good measure. At one point of the song, I heard some shuffling and looked behind me. I almost jumped out of my skin as I saw Cami sitting down next to me on the bed. Blushing a bit at the embarrassment of being caught playing (I was absolute shit) and singing (I was even worse), I put the guitar away.

"No fucking way," she said, putting a hand on the guitar. "You're finishing this song."

Her blue eyes bored into mine and I swallowed nervously before continuing to play. Closing my eyes again, it came as a bit of a shock when Cami's voice suddenly joined mine, singing the female vocals. I was completely surprised by how good she was. Whenever I'd heard her sing before, she'd been drunk, and hadn't been the best, to put it mildly. But her voice had a breathy, raspy quality to it that was both sensual and soothing.

"But you can't give me what I need, and even though you mean so much to me, I can't wait through everything... Is this really happening?"

When the song was over, I put the guitar away. With a grin, Cami picked it up.

"I suck at this," she warned me.

I shrugged.

"So do I."

"No, I really suck. But Luke taught me this one."

She picked at the chords, frowning as she messed up a little in the beginning, then smiling as she got it right. I chuckled as I recognized the tune as I miss you by Blink 182. We both hummed along, neither of us wanting to full out sing it but still expressing our love for the song. She finished it and let the guitar slide to the ground. Instead she grabbed some papers from her bag and gave me a shit-eating grin.

"You ready for some French?"

"Fuck no."

"But why?" I complained. "Why is the grammar so bullshit? Who was the sadistic fucker who made this language up?"

"We blame a lot of different people," Cami laughed. "Anyway, that's the equivalent of the past participle. Just remember, accord the verb if it's 'be', don't if it's 'have'. Except?"

I frowned and racked my brain, wanting to show her that I really had tried concentrating.

"Except when the object is before the verb. Then I accord with 'have' too."

"Good!" Cami beamed.

I cracked a smile at her excitement. My success made her happier than me. But my smile definitely widened when she shut the notebook closed and put in back in her bag.

"We're done for the day!" She exclaimed.

"Really?"

"Yup! What time is it?"

I glanced at the clock and my mouth fell open.

"Um it might be ten thirty?"

"What? We've been working for two hours and a half?"

I pulled a horrified face.

"We deserve a break."

"I wonder why Mali didn't stop by," she said. "I mean, we kinda skipped dinner and all."