First Time

I ran away from the sick walker that was chasing me.

I never wanted to kill them. They were people too. They were just sick.

Many of the others in the prison had told me that I was wrong and the only way to get rid of them was to either shoot them or stab them in the head, but I didn't want to . The only one who understood me was Lizzie.

The only thing about Lizzie was that she was crazy.

Lizzie thought that they were her friends and that they didn't mean to hurt you, but I knew better.

I knew that they killed in cold blood, but I didn't feel as if it was their fault.

When I saw them, all I did was run.

I didn't shoot.

I didn't fight.

I ran.

"Ella," he shouted, "Ella come back."

I turned around and saw my best friend In the entire world. He was being attacked.

"Carl," I whispered.

He was lying on the ground with a walker on top of him.

Rotted skin hung from the creature's face and it's teeth bared and chomped at Carl.

"Ella. Help," he shouted.

My hand fell to the side and my fingers brushed against the gun that my family at the prison insisted I carry.

I won't kill that creature, I told myself.

"No," I said, "I won't let that thing kill him. Not my best friend."

I pulled the gun out of my holster and aimed it at the creature.

"Die, "I muttered and pulled the trigger.

The bullet soared through the air and went through the creature's skull. It's body fell limp and lost all motion as it fell on Carl.

His muscles relaxed as I ran up to him and helped him push the walker off of his body.

I sighed as I realized that these things weren't people. They were dead.

People are living and these things were definitely not living.

"Carl, are you okay?" I asked as he grasped my arm and he pulled himself up.

Carl nodded, but quickly stopped when he heaved up anything that was in his stomach at the time.

Rotting corpses can do that to a person.

"I'm good now," he said, "How are you? I know that was your first time and it couldn't have been easy."

I shrugged, "It should have been easy, but it wasn't. It should have been easy considering that they killed so many people and some of those were people close to us."

My best friend nodded and pulled me into a hug.

"I know, but now that you've done your first, it will get easier."

I pulled back, but Carl still held me in his arms.

"What if I don't want it to get easier?"

He shrugged, "Then you have sympathy?"

"What if I don't want to be sympathetic to them?" I asked.

He shrugged again,"Then you're human."

Not the best, but it's something. Taking ideas so please comment or DM us- Lexie & Miki