Something Unusual

"Come on Carmela," Nurse Adams said from the doorway, "It's time to go to the dining room."

I groaned and turned over in my bed.

"Don't be like that," she pleaded, "Come out of the bed and come along to the dining room."

I sighed and stepped down onto the carpeted floor, "You know I hate going down there. All it is is a bunch of mentally unsound kids at a table surrounded by a bunch of adults who watch us use the only utensil allowed. Spoons."

Nurse Adams gave me a sympathetic smile, "That's because this an asylum. You know that."

She was right.

I did know that. There was no way in hell that I wouldn't be able to know that.

I'd been in this hell for the past three years of my life and it had basically become all I could remember.

Everyday, it was the same thing.

You wake up. A nurse takes you to the dining room. You have free time. Another nurse takes you to the dining room for lunch. More free time. Dinner. Bed.

I hated it.

But then again, I did set an entire building on fire due to my "schizophrenia."

I don't see the problem, but apparently it was enough to land me here.

Anyhow, I followed Nurse Adams down to the dining room to see all the usual kids and nurses around the abnormally large table.

As I took my usual seat at the table and picked up my usual bowl of cereal to eat with my usual spoon, I took my usual glance around the table.

The only thing was, there was someone unusual sitting across from me.

He was smiling and talking to the kid next to him, allowing his dark hair to fall in his face.

"Nurse Adams," I said, motioning her over to me.

As she walked over to my side, a look of worry flashed in her eyes, "What's wrong? Are you hearing the voices again? We talked about this. They're not r-"

"No," I cut her off, rolling my eyes, "I'm not hearing the voices. I wanted to know who that kids is over there. I've never seen him before."

She let out a sigh of relief and smiled,"Oh, that's Chandler. He's a new volunteer here."

I glanced across the table in wonderment, "He looks to be about my age. I thought the volunteers had to be adults."

Nurse Adams shook her head, "Most of the volunteers here are adults, but there were never rules that said they have to be. It just seems like most kids don't understand how to help people their age, so they avoid places like this. Chandler on the other hand gets what it's like to be different. Apparently, he's bullied constantly at school because he doesn't look or act like the rest of them, so he thought working with people that are viewed differently would be interesting."

I nodded and went back to my meal.

This was something different.

---

I let out a sigh as I heard a small knock on my door.

I had decided to spend my free time in my room because I couldn't deal with playing more board games with these mentally unstable kids.

Sure, they probably thought the same about me, but I liked to think that I wasn't as bad as them.

Some of the kids here will snap in a moment, going from the mindset of a normal child playing a game to a paranoid child who is craves blood.