What You Can, Not What You Want

"I think I found something," I heard Glenn yell from across the lot.

Everyone turned to see what he had found.

The city was empty. All the stores were cleared out.

So far, we hadn't had any luck in finding anything that could be used. Some people actually feared the continuation of Alexandria due to the shortage of supplies.

Carl and I came over from the store we were checking in and pushed out way into the crowd of people surrounding Glenn.

"How are we going to get in?" someone asked.

Glenn shrugged and a sigh swept through the crowd.

Suddenly, I remembered the dynamite Carl had found in the hardware store earlier.

"I have a way," I said, "Does anyone have matches?"

I heard a small "I do" come from somewhere in the crowd.

There was a small shuffling as everyone tried to let the person through and to the front. I giggled slightly at the sight.

Soon, a woman with tangled blonde hair walked up to me, handing me a box with a a little duck on it. The box also read Chinese New Year.

I squinted at the oddness of it, but took the box nonetheless.

"Thank you."

Pretty soon, we had the huge storage unit door open and were looking at a truck that looked untouched.

Glenn opened it and everyone cheered when they saw an assortment of foods and drinks that we could take back home. The excited chatter became so loud that I started to fear the appearance of walkers.

Everyone moved closer and started to hold as much as they could on their person. I noticed that some people were knocking some things aside like they didn't want it. Others made faces as they did it.

It looked to me as though they thought they were shopping.

"Carl, (y/n)," Glenn said, breaking me from my thoughts,"Go back to Alexandria and tell Rick and Daryl what we found."

Carl shook his head,"We should be here, helping all of you take the stuff back."

Glenn shook his head,"We got it. You two go."

I looked towards my friend, and partner in runs, and I could see the look of disgust etched on his face.

He was thinking the same thing I was.

We understood that the people that lived in Alexandria hadn't been as exposed to the walkers as we were, but it was still disgusting that they thought they could pick and choose what they picked up due to what they liked.

"Hey, assholes," Carl yelled over the crowd, catching the attention of every last person.

"Do you not understand that we have a shortage on food and that you don't get a choice in what you're picking up? We could be ambushed by people or attacked by walkers at any second and you're wasting time on whether you want Gatorade or PowerAde. This is not a department store and you do not get a choice. Pick up what you can, not what you want."

I looked at the boy in admiration.

It was quite sad that a sixteen year old boy had to put perspective on their chances of survival for them.

Even though Carl was my best friend, I kind of looked up to him.

He was so protective of me and my sister that he was kind of like a father or older brother. I loved him.

Not that way. Like I said. Brother. Father. Best friend. Frankly, I thought that me loving Carl in any other way would be weird.

The adult all gave him a look of disgust and I frowned at them.

"Don't give him that look. He knows what he's talking about. You guys all have been sitting in Alexandria since the outbreak while we've been in the world. We know what's at rise if you hesitate."

Glenn smiled at the both of us and motioned for us to go and do as we were told.

Carl smiled at me as we walked away and I smiled back.

"Nice speech," he remarked.

I laughed," I could say the same to you, Mr. Grimes."

Topic: Shopping

Once again, really crappy. I kind of like the speeches though... Anyways, we got to 2.15K and I'm kind of excited. I'm glad you guys like the imagines. I don't know if you guys do, but if you want, you can check out my other story that lets you guys know me and you can comment and answer the question of the day so I can get to know you. Luv ya~ Miki

PS ONE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS COMMENTED ON THE OTHER STORY YESTERDAY BECAUSE I MENTIONED HER WHEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT HER BOOK ☺☺☺