Lessons Part 2

Warning: May or may not be triggering. Please do not read if easily triggered.I really didn't want to leave the safety that I had found in the bathroom, but Chandler had given me belief that outside couldn't be that bad.

I knew he was lying to me, but I let it go.

Even though I hadn't known him for long, Chandler had given me plenty of reason to trust him.

I took the awkward boy's hand with a sigh, and together, we walked into  the face of humility.

The minute I placed my feet outside the bathroom, I was faced with looks of disgust, and worst of all, pity.

I hated being pitied. It was one of those things you learned when your parents were too busy to spend time with you. Especially if they were as rich as mine.

As I was growing up, the staff in the house would look at me in pity because all my parents did was work. The maid, Elaine, had become one of my best friends.

She was only a couple of years older than me and had become one of my best friends. Elaine had first started working in the house when I was thirteen and she was seventeen.

She wasn't the best maid, but my mom refused to fire her for the sheer fact that I seemed happier with Elaine around. Instead, my mom hired another maid named Beatrice.

While Beatrice did most of the work, Elaine would hang out with me.

We had become really good friends.

So you could imagine my heart break when Elaine didn't show up because she had been murdered by her boyfriend in an act of domestic abuse.

Ever since then, I didn't pursue any type of boyfriend. Or trust boys for that matter.

But Chandler was different. I felt safe around him.

That also might have been a reason for my slip into depression. My best friend had been killed and my parents had been no where to be found.

I couldn't call them horrible though. I never would be able to because in that rare moment that they did have time, they spent it with me.

I tried to pull back from Chandler, but he squeezed my hand and continued to lead me through the halls.

The looks of pity faded as I made my way towards my Spanish class and turned into more and more disgust.

People that I didn't even know were rolling their eyes at me and "whispering" their thoughts.

"She has no reason."

"It's all for attention."

"She deserves it."

I squeezed Chandler's hand tighter until I couldn't feel it anymore.

Eventually, we got to my classroom, but Chandler refused to let me go into the class alone. Even though he didn't have Spanish with me, he walked into the room and waited until I sat down before leaving.

I couldn't ask for a better friend. I had noticed him in school because he was in a lot of my classes, but we had never talked.

I'm glad that I ran into him this morning.

Throughout Spanish, I could feel the judging eyes coming from all around the room and it didn't help that my teacher had me sit in the front, my being displayed for all the class to see.

Suddenly, I felt a ball of paper hit me in the back of the head.

I rolled my eyes and pulled the hairband out of my hair and let the long, colorful locks cascade down my shoulder.