As You Wish

I frowned in disgust at the dead goat that I had been eating.

It was completely raw and bleeding all over the hard ground. I guess this is what my life has come to.

I heard something move within the trees and my pointed, furry ears prickling in interest.

Long ago, a few months after the apocalypse started, people started to notice changes on their physical appearance.

Evolution, my mom called it.

Apparently, people didn't always have "cat" ears on top of their head and some people still didn't.

Most of the time, my mom would hide them from people by covering my head with a hat or hood or something so that no one would be frightened.

Then again, they're living in a world where the undead walked the streets. Cat ears shouldn't have been some thing that was abnormal in this world.

A gun shot fired and I moved slightly, avoiding the bullet by a small fraction.

"Don't shoot," I said lifting my hands in surrender.

I wasn't one to start arguments and whatnot with other people in the world.

Ever since the apocalypse started, I had been living in a small camp with my mom and brother. We didn't come into many disputes and when we did, it was resolved without violence.

"What the hell?" the person said.

I could tell it was a man by the sound of the voice.

Suddenly, I realized what this must have looked like to him.

"Oh my goodness," I said, embarrassed, "I'm not a walker. I promise. I'm perfectly human."

I turned towards the bush he was in and smiled.

I guess he took that as a sign that I knew where he was and there was no point in being stabbed by the pricker bush he was in any longer.

"What are you?" he asked.

I frowned slightly, "That's a little rude, sir."

He gave me a sympathetic look,"I'm sorry. I'm just a little confused right now."

I sighed and pulled my hat on,"Don't worry. You're not the only one. A lot of people don't understand that this is what happens when there are chemicals in the air."

He gasped, "Chemicals did this to you?"

I shrugged, "That's what my mom said to me. She said that the same labs that made the walkers are what are doing this to people. They're letting us evolve. We need to be able to know when the undead are coming, so they give us more advanced ears."

"That's not normal," he said,"I'm sorry they did that to you."

I shook my head and wiped my face for any blood that may have still been there,"Don't be. Feel sorry for the people that don't have the blessing I do."

There was a moment of silence as I attempted to pick up the rest of the goat that was still lying there. I needed to bring it back to the camp so someone could cook it up and we could finally have a substancial dinner.

"Are you alone?" he asked.

I shook my head, "No sir. I have a family and many friends that I live with. Are you?"

He shook his head, "And you don't have to keep calling me sir. The name's Carl."

I smiled, "Okay, Carl. I am Kelli."

He smiled, "Hello Kelli."

We stood there in an awkward silence before I finally bent down and cut the game into two semi-even pieces.

I took off my sweater and wrapped one piece in the fabric, handing it to the boy who had been watching me intently.

"Oh no," he said, holding it back out for me to take back," I can't take that from you."

I shook my head, pushing his hands bac to his body," I want you to have it. It is not taking if I give it."

He smiled at me, "Thank you."

"Your welcome."

"So about your ears," Carl said, "Does it feel weird to have them sitting on top of your head like that?"

I shook my head, "No. Not really. It feels like they're a part of my body and that they've always been there."

He nodded and suddenly, I heard someone moving throught the woods.

"Someone is coming," I said, lifting my share of the goat and turning to my camp,"I hope I see you around, sir."

"Carl," he corrected.

I felt my ears prickle as I smiled,"As you wish, Carl."

Topic: with animal ears

Eh, I don't know how I feel about this one. I kind of like it, but then again, you know how it is when you read your own writing. Anyways, this was kind of inspired by the story Virtuous by gay-ships-69   

OH AND I CHECKED THIS STORY YESTERSAY AND WE WERE AT 2,150 AND I CHECKED EARLIER TODAY AND IT WAS AT 2,275. I JUST WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THAT. THATS AMAZING.Luv ya~Miki