Cats and Dogs

I looked out the window as I fixed the sweater I was wearing.

"It raining," I swore, playing with my long beach waves.

They wouldn't stay if they got wet.

"Mama," I yelled, "Do you have an umbrella I can use today?"

"Yeah. I'll leave it by the door when I step out," she responded.

I called out a quick thank you before returning back to my daily routine.

Pretty soon, I had gathered all of my books and ot other supplies for a day of school and headed down to the kitchen where I found my mom picking up her bagel.

"You heading out?" I asked.

She nodded,"Make sure that you eat something before you go, Shelby."

She pulled me closer and placed a small kiss before hurrying out the door to face her pride and joy that she called work.

I know that she went for me, but would it really kill her to stop for two minutes just to ask how I've been. 

I guess so.

I sighed, not really feeling hungry, and made my way back up to my room to watch tv until it was time for me to walk to the bus stop.

Only two more months until I could finally get away from this boring wreck of a town.

Two more months.

After about a half hour, I turned my tv off and made my way out the front door and down the street.

I loved the rain.

I really did.

It was only that this morning, my hair actually coopperated with me and the rain would most definitely end that miracle.

As I was making my way down the street, I saw a boy frantically pacing at the end of a driveway with his phone pressed to his ear.

Curiousity took over me as I sped up to see what he was doing.

"What wrong?" I asked.

The boy jumped a little and sighed,"I don't know. My cat ran outside and got into a fight with a gopher. Now the vets put me on hold and I just need to get her there."

I could sense the fear in his voice as I glanced down at the fallen kitty.

She was still breathing, but she was lying very still, the rain soaking into her fur.

"Are you going to put a blanket or something on her?" I asked.

He shook his head,"I don't want to touch her. If I do something wrong and she dies, I'll never forgive myself. I always do something wrong. I just can't."

I looked back at the feline and frowned.

"Here," I said, handing him my umbrella,"That way you won't have to touch her."

He thanked me and began to speak on the phone as I walked away, rain drenching my clothes and hair.

It was for a good cause.

/-/

The weekend after, I had gone to the ice cream shop in town and was making my way back to my house when I heard someone yelling for the girl in the floral shirt.

I looked down and realized they were talking to me.

"Hi," a boy said.

I raised an eyebrow,"Do I know you?"

He shook his head,"No. I was that poor loser you lent your umbrella to the other day. My cat scratched it, and I'm sorry. I'll get you a new one."

I frowned at the fact that he spoke so lowly of himself, but didn't mention it.

"The sick cat ripped the umbrella?" I questioned.

He shook his head,"No. My other cat did. Like I said, I'll get you a new one."

I shook my head,"It's fine. Don't worry about it. How's you cat doing? The sick one."

The boy gave me a small smile,"She's fine. Vet says she was just in shock. She had to get a couple of shots because she fought a wild animals, but she's up and running."

"I'm glad."

"Thank you. Well, sorry for bothering you. I'm pretty sure you have things better to do than talking to someone like me."

As I turned to walk away, I put a hand on his arm, stopping him.

"I don't. Anyways, I didn't get your name."

"Chandler," he said,"Chandler Riggs."

I smiled,"I'm Shelby."

Omg, guys, it's been so long. I'm sorry. School started on Wednesday and I'm already struggling.  I'm behind and ugh, I don't know.

Anyways, I checked the stats when I started this chapter yesterday and I want to know how the hell we got to 500 votes. Y'all are amazing.

Recently, I haven't found inspiration, so I went online and looked for some prompts and I found one that was pretty cool and had a whole bunch, so that's where this one and the last came from.

I think I'm going to do a sequel to this chapter with Shelby and Chandler, so I'm looking forward to that. The thing with the gopher actually sorta happened. This summer, my dog fought a groundhog, but she was like 348384848 times bigger, so she picked it up and swing it around until it died. It was really sad. Poor groundhog.

I think I mentioned last time that I have an instagram now, so if y'all want to follow me there, you can at mikihillson. If you do, let me know so I can follow back and give you a shout out. I think someone already did, but I have no idea who. Their page gives me TWD life.

Anywho, y'all are the best readers and I do truly love y'all. Thank you

Luv ya -Miki