Perfection II

I put my head in my hands as I slouched over and sobbed.

I couldn't do this anymore.

"What's the matter?"

I looked up to see my cousin, Elliot, standing in the doorway of the kitchen.

"Nothing," I croaked, wiping the tears from my face, "Why would you ask that?"

He frowned and sat at the kitchen table with me, "Because I know you? What's wrong?"

I thought about it for a moment and sighed.

It had been a while since I first found out I was pregnant and an even shorter while since I had my daughter, Artemis.

The shortest amount of time, though, was the time between now and when my loving boyfriend, Chandler Riggs, left me alone with our baby, to raise and care for all by myself.

He never gave me a specific reason why it had to end, but I felt that it was because of my little girl's existence.

I remember the day so clearly.

On the day of Artemis' birth, Chandler took me to the hospital, bubbling with excitement over the child finally being born, but when I woke up after the drugs wore off, he wasn't there.

According to the nurses, he came in and held Arty, but after that, they didn't see him again.

I hadn't heard from him until an hour ago, one year after the day he disappeared.

He had texted me and told me that he wanted to come and see her for her birthday.

Still no explanation.

Still no apology.

I couldn't deny him the chance to see his daughter, although he lost the right when he left Artemis and I alone. I knew what it felt like to grow up feeling as if my parents didn't love me and I couldn't do that to my daughter.

Elliot was staring at me expectantly and I sighed.

"I really don't want to see Chandler today," I said, "He left me and I know that if I see him, I'm going to want to know why, but I don't think my heart could take it."

Elliot nodded and smiled at me, "You'll be fine. I know you will. You raised a demonic baby for a year and you're still here. You've got this."

I smiled and hugged my cousin,"Thanks El."

As we pulled apart, I heard the cry of a very cranky baby in the next room and the ring of the doorbell at the same time.

"You get the door and I'll get the demon," Elliot said.

I laughed and turned down the hall and to the door, only to open it and find the man I had been dreading.

"Hey, Bren," he said with a short wave.

Seeing him standing in my doorway set off a wave of emotions in me.

Sadness. Anger. Hurt. Suffering. Rage. Heartache.

All at once.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"You have no right to ask that question," I said, through clouded eyes and clenched teeth.

It hurt me to say that to him and it obviously hurt him to hear it, judging by his pained expression, but it was true.

"Brenna," he started," I know I left, but-"

"But nothing," I said, "Come with me and you can see Artemis, but then you have to go."

Chandler smiled, "You named her Artemis?"