Chapter 42: Curse Mark

(Sasuke's P.O.V)

It seems like a dream, having Lily in my arms like this.

"Psst, Sasuke. Sasuke wake up."

Jugo's voice pulls me from my sleep.

"What do you want, Jugo? I'm trying to sleep."

"There's something I need to tell you."

"Tell me later."

"But it's about Lily."

I open my eyes and look at him.

"What about Lily?"

Jugo glances at Suigetsu and Orochimaru before he starts talking.

"Lily thinks I don't know about this, but I know the real reason why she's never left Orochomaru."

"You know why she was stuck there?"

Jugo nods.

"Tell me why."

"It's because she has a curse mark..."

"That can't be true. I've been around her for years and I've never even heard about it, let alone seen it. Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, I'm positive. The reason you never knew about it is because Lily is extremely good at hiding things from others. Why do you think Orochimaru used her as a spy most of the time? He knew that she has all the skills needed to deceive others."

"I understand that, but why did having a curse mark keep Lily from leaving? It never happened to me with my curse mark."

"Both marks are different, Sasuke. Your's was meant for power, Lily's, however, was meant for control. What that means is when Lily would try to attack Orochimaru or Kabuto her body would either freeze or put her in extreme pain, so that's why..."

Jugo trails off when Lily starts moving around in my arms. We both hold our breath while not moving, hoping that she doesn't wake up. Luckily, Lily stopped moving around and continues to sleep.

"That was a close one."

I whisper.

"No kidding. I'm positive Lily would kill both of us, especially me for telling you about this."

"Yeah. By the way, where is the mark at?"

"It's under her chest on the right. You've probably never seen it because she uses her transformation jutsu when it would be visible."

"I wonder why she hid this from me for all this time. Did she not trust me?"

I look down at Lily's sleeping face as I speak my thoughts.

"Do do you really think Lily would be with you now if she didn't trust you?"

Another voice speaks up. I turn to the owner of the voice, Orochimaru.

"How long have you been listening and what do you mean by that?"

I ask. Orochimaru gets up and comes over to where we are before answering.

"A while and not only did she choose to join you when your group first formed, Lily also stayed with you when I was brought back to life and joined you even though she knew that the effects of her curse mark would still be active. If she didn't trust you, Lily would have left as soon as you killed me. If that's not trust then I don't know what is."

"But still, why didn't she tell me?"

"It's because I didn't want to worry you, Sasuke. You have enough to worry about already."

Lily's beautiful voice chimes in. I look down at Lily and she looks only half awake.

"Ummm how long have you been awake, Lily?"

Jugo asks.

"Just before Orochimaru was talking about me trusting you."

Lily gets out of my arms and sits up.

"Now I have a question. Who was the one talking about this and how do you know so much about it? I know that Orochimaru didn't start this so has to be one of you two."

Jugo turns pale at Lily's words and he starts inching away from her, but Lily notices.

"So it was you, Jugo. How did you find all of this out?"

"I'm actually quite curious as well. Do tell us, Jugo."

Orochimaru smirks at Jugo's failed attempt to sneak away from Lily.

"Well I accidentally saw it one day when she fell asleep. And as for knowing everything about it, well I am the origin of the curse mark after all, so I should know about it beforehand."

"That makes sense, but you don't have to tell the whole world about it..."

Lily says the last part sarcastically while rolling her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Lily."

"It's fine, Jugo, but next time, please let me be the one to say something, all right?"

"Sounds good."

They both smile and Orochimaru walks up to them.

"Lily, you don't have to worry about the curse mark anymore. I'm not able to move it because it's been too long, but I will not use it against you."

"Thank you."

I smile for a moment before walking over to the others.

"You know, I've been wondering... How can Suigetsu sleep through all of this?"

Lily asks. we all look over at Suigetsu and we see him fast asleep and is turning into a pile a little.

"I guess he's having a good dream."

Jugo says while laughing.