38

Omniscient

Raigen, August, Victor and a few of Raigen's mom family members all sat inside of the family waiting room, waiting on the nurses to give them Cassandra's belongings and to also wait for Paige to show up. She had been notified of the accident and caught the first flight back to Atlanta and would be there soon.

Raigen sat on the couch huddled up under August crying. Her cries and wants for her mom had brought tears to not only August and her dads eyes but every other person who sat in the waiting room. August pulled her closer to him and rubbed his hand around her eighteen week old baby bump knowing that comforted her; and in that moment the both of them felt the baby's first kick.

"If I felt that I know you did." August said looking down at Raigen with big eyes.

Raigen slowly nodded her head. In a moment that all parents look forward to, with being able to feel and gloat in the happiness of feeling their baby kick for the first time, was a sad moment for Raigen. The realization that her mother wouldn't be here to see her first grandchild or even continue to experience this pregnancy along side her sunk in, as sadness took over and she instantly started crying again. August knew all this crying for Raigen wasn't good but he couldn't tell her to just quit mourning over her mom's death.

"Where's my mom is everything alright?" Paige yelled bursting through the private family waiting room doors. Nobody had notified her of her mothers death just the accident because they wanted to wait until she was here to do it. But in that very moment when the time came to speak up no one did.

"Paige!" Raigen cried jumping up from her spot under August, and ran into her sisters arms grabbing her into a hug.

"What happened Raigen why is everyone crying?" Paige asked now with tears also falling from her eyes.

"She's gone Paige." Raigen cried.

"No she's not, stop lying Rai I just talked to her this morning." She replied trying to push Raigen off of her, but Raigen kept a strong grip on her afraid to let her go.

"I'm not ly-lying Paige mommy is gone." Raigen stuttered crying. Paige looked around the room at everyone's sad face then let out a heart wrenching scream making Raigen's cries louder too and everyone else in the room started to cry watching the scene of two girls. No one Intervened or stepped into help them as the two girls slowly dropped to the ground, and cried together. They kept a tight hold on each other because both feared if they let go they would lose one another.

Victor couldn't take seeing his daughters in that state so he left the waiting room and stood outside the door, before anyone saw him break down. He wanted to be strong for his family but who was he without his wife? How was he supposed to continue to push forward and live his life without his life partner by his side?

August 

1 week later

I jus' watched Raigen while she silently slid out of her black dress. She hasn't said much today, hasn't moved much, doesn't look at people much and I can jus' see the light in her dimmin' down day by day. 

Ever since all that shit happened in the first place Rai jus' ain't been herself and iont expect her to be, but it suck havin' to watch someone you love go through pain like this, knowin' that jus' a couple years back I was in the same position; hangin' on by a thread, not speakin', not wantin' to eat. It really is crazy because like how mama and Trav and errybody in my family was wit' me after Mel died is how I am with Rai. You just desperate to get them to do somethin', give you some type of emotional response that isn't pain, and it sucks when you know they not ready to give you or themselves that.