Thirty Six // Family Dinners.

Sleep was suppose to be easy. It was such a natural thing for everyone yet every now and then it seemed like the hardest thing to do. I hate those nights where you just lie there waiting for sleep but it never comes and yet you know you're tired, I had one of those nights last night. I didn't know what it was but I just couldn't fall asleep and that resulted in me waking up extremely grumpy. 

I usually loved waking up to Walker jumping all over me but not this morning. "Stop it." I scold my dog who stares at me innocently with his puppy dog eyes. I'm even more annoyed when I notice that Calum is nowhere to be seen, I didn't know what time he had gotten home last night all I knew was that he had worked late, again. 

A small huff escapes my lips as I push the blankets back and climb out of bed. The house is quiet, maybe even too quiet but that works in my favour because it doesn't take long to locate where in the house Calum is. I can't help but notice Luke's absence in the living room and I wonder if he had gone home or if he was in the kitchen with Calum, I hoped he was still here because it would be good to talk to him about yesterday, especially in a sober state.

As soon as I walk in to the kitchen I'm hit with the aroma of pancakes and I'm not going to lie it makes my stomach rumble just a little. My mood instantly perks as I find my future husband standing over the stove top in just his briefs whilst singing along quietly to some song, I was definitely one lucky girl.

"If this what having you as husband is going to be like then maybe we should just get married tomorrow." I say and a small chuckle comes from Calum before he turns around to look at me. 

"Every time I try to make breakfast in bed you ruin it." Calum tells me shaking his head in fake annoyance, He then turns back around and turns the element off. I watch him skillfully scoop the pancake out of the fry pan and then place it on the plate that was nearest to him, The funny about seeing Calum cook was that when we first lived together all he could cook was his mum's famous spaghetti and of course toast but then again was that really even cooking? I was a little proud that he could now cook a selection of things, even though his spaghetti was pretty darn good. 

"Sorry?" I ask rather then say before shooting him a grin. 

"The good thing is this breakfast will still be as good not in bed." Calum points out as places a full plate of pancakes in front of me. "Oh. Almost forget." Calum says then grabs  a small bowl of sugar and lemons then places them in front of me. 

"Thank you." I beam at him and watch as a proud smile makes it's way to his face. "You are seriously still way too cute you know?" 

"Whatever you say." Calum shrugs as he pours a whole lot of maple syrup over his pancakes. I smile at the child like excitement that's in his eyes before I add lemon juice and sugar to my own pancakes. I was never the type of person who was very big on savory food for breakfast, I preferred sweet food or cereal.

"Did you see Luke this morning?" I ask Calum taking my first bite of one of my pancakes and internally moan at how good it tastes. 

"Yeah in passing. How come he was here?" Calum wonders and a small sigh escapes my lips. 

"He came here yesterday afternoon in a very drunk state." I tell him and Calum frowns. "He broke up with Katie and I guess he was upset or something....I don't really know but I'm a little worried about him Cal."

"Well drinking in the afternoon isn't exactly Luke's thing." Calum shakes his head. "I'll talk to him." 

"Okay good." I say then focus back on my pancakes. I can't help but wonder if Claudia had gotten my email yet and if she had would she reply? I didn't know why I thought Claudia could help but she knew Luke in a way that none of us did and I knew that he was still carrying things with him from when they were together and seeing as the only people who knew what really went on between them were the two of them, I figured she could shine some light on why Luke was being how he was. 

"So are you ready for tonight?" Calum asks and I shrug in response. I don't think Calum and I could ever be ready to break the news to our mothers but really didn't have a choice if we wanted to get married sooner rather then later.

"As ready as I can be." I tell him and he snorts at me. 

"Who knew our mothers could be so scary." 

"Yeah who knew." I shake my head in amusement. We both knew that our fathers could really care less about when we got married, they just wanted to be apart of our special day. 

"We'll just have to face their wraith together." Calum grins at me. 

"We will." I agree letting out a small sigh.  "What time did you get home last night?" 

"Ugh I don't even remember." Calum answers. "But I can confidently say that the late nights are going to be stopping." 

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows at him. Now I did hate Calum always working late but I knew he had to and that the company was important so I tried not to let it bother me too much but the selfish part of me would love to have my nights back with him. 

"Yeah Luke and I finally found  a new manager for the  L.A. office and we also both hired assistants so our workload is going to be pretty light for now on." Calum reveals and I literally have to stop myself from jumping with joy.

"Lighter workload?" I ask as if I hadn't head right and Calum nods a cheeky grin finding it's way to his lips as he walks around the counter to come over to me. 

"Yes and that means more time for my wife to be." 

"Well you know what they say Happy wife,happy life." I point out and he playfully rolls his eyes at me. I turn in my seat before standing only so I can wrap my arms around his neck, being in his arms was still my most favourite place in the world.