Chapter Three: Thank You

(A/N: I hope you guys like this chapter as much as I do)

The next day at school Riley started to talk to Maya about last night.

"Thank you for not kissing Lucas." Riley said.

"Don't thank me. I didn't want to anyway" Maya said.

"Yeah I could tell" Riley laughed.

"And I could tell you didn't want us too kiss" Maya replied.

"What do you mean?" Riley asked, confused.

"You had this look on your face. This look of nervousness. You looked scared. Tell me why" Maya said.

"Not here" Riley replied.

"Fine. Bay window after school?" Maya asked.

"Yeah." Riley replied.

Maya was confused of why Riley had that face on. It was puzzling her since last night. It was puzzling Lucas, too.

"Ladies" Farkle said as him and Lucas walked up to them. 

"Farkle" they said.

"Where's Zay?" Riley asked Lucas.

"He's visiting Texas" Lucas replied.

"Oh ok" she replied.

Maya and Lucas looked at each other awkwardly.

They looked away quickly and the four went to class.

"Close Calls" Mr. Matthews wrote on the board.

"Of course" Maya heard Lucas say under his breath.

"Close calls can be one of the most terrifying things you experience. If they don't happen, you're fine. but if it does happen, you won't know because you're either... Dead or it already happened so there's nothing you can do to stop it. But close calls are neither of those. They're scarier. It can affect your whole life and make you notice and realize things you didn't before." Mr. Matthews said. (A/N: I don't really know if that's necessarily true lol. I just randomly came up with it. And I kinda like it so)

"How do you always do that, Matthews?" Maya asked him.

"Do what, Maya?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"Relate all your lessons to stuff that's going on in our lives?" She replied.

"I don't know. But is a close call going on in your life?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"Yeah. And somebody elses" she replied. Gesturing to Lucas in her words.

"Well, hopefully whatever that close call is, this lesson helps you to solve it. And I hope you take what I say today to heart" Mr. Matthews continued.

After school Farkle and Lucas decided
to hang out and Maya followed Riley home.

They walked through the door and went to Riley's room.

"Okay. Now tell me why you looked like that when me and Huckelberry were about to kiss." Maya said as they sat down at the bay window.

"It was for no reason." Riley replied.

"Come on tell me" Maya said.

"Maya, really it was for no reason" Riley said.

"Riley, don't make me do it" Maya said as she held up her hand.

"Maya come on, can you just accept that there's nothing wrong?" Riley asked.

"No. 'Cause there is something wrong. I know there is. Now you can either tell me, or..." Maya said as she raised her hand higher.

"Maya co-"

"Ring power!" Maya cut off Riley. "Now why did you have that look on your face?"

"Fine. I was looking at you guys like that because I was scared" Riley replied. 

"Of what?" Maya asked, confused.

"I know you think I don't notice a lot of stuff, but I do. I notice a lot. I sometimes notice more than you do" Riley replied. 

"What do you mean?" Maya asked.

"I see things. Things that go on between two certain people" she said.

"Who are the people?" Maya asked.

"You and Lucas" Riley said.

"I don't know what you mean. Nothing goes on between me and Ranger Rick" Maya replied.

"It's something that you guys don't notice. But I do" Riley said.

"What do you notice?" Maya asked, still confused.

"I see the way he looks at you. And the way you look at him. But I chose to ignore it because I wasn't sure if it was anything. But I'm pretty sure it's is" Riley replied.

"Riles, you have nothing to worry about" Maya replied. "Ranger Rick doesn't like me. He likes you"

"But do you like him?" Riley asked.

Maya paused. "No. Don't worry. now finish what you were saying"

"I was scared that you guys WERE gonna kiss because I was scared then you guys would notice how you really feel about each other. That maybe you would realize that you guys have feelings for each other" she got a little teary eyed.

"Riles, we don't have feelings for each other. He likes you. Not me. He'll never like me. I'll never like him" Maya replied.

"You guys look at each other in a way that you guys don't look at anyone else" Riley said.

"Yeah. It's called we're like..." Maya searched for the right word. "Frienemies" she said.

"No, Maya. You guys look at each other in a way that looks like love" Riley said. "It's almost like the way my parents look at each other. But not quite"

"Riley, that's crazy! We're not in love with each other! We never will be! You have nothing to worry about! Got it? Nothing!" Maya said.

"I'm always gonna worry, Maya" Riley said as a tear ran down her face.

"Why are you crying?" Maya asked.

"Because I realized that. And I realize that you guys are probably gonna eventually become a couple" Riley said as she wiped her eye.

"I gotta get home. My moms getting off of work early today" Maya said as she left through the window. "Stop worrying, Riles" Maya was shocked at how Riley thought all that.

---------------------

A/N: heyyyy guys! I hope you liked this chapter! I did! I think it's one of my favorites just because I like the lesson(?) and I like the emotion. I hope you guys feel this same way about it!

Anyway, the 4th chapter should be posted tomorrow! So keep an eye out!

Byeeee!!!

-Jess